New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Retirement
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You quit your primary employer, you’re still working, so you ain’t retired!

That said, over the better part of 4 decades I have found that it’s blue collar working class that looks forward to retirement because they hate their job, think they are smarter than the boss and therefore believe they are underpaid. Most don’t have enough $ saved to cover their medical expenses after retire until they leave this rock, no mind enough saved to so their lifestyle doesn’t change in retirement from when they were working.

I have also found that very wealthy people don’t retire. I personally know two billionaires that are still getting up everyday at the crack of dawn and going to the office, both are 83 and both are self made. Sure they now take more time off to enjoy life but they ain’t retiring until they die.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
5 more working days! Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2497 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Today was my last day working for the Government. Now I start working for myself, but tomorrow I have to help a buddy move, a neighbor with some yard projects & who knows what else. LOL!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2497 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Whiskey -Tango -Foxtrot , over and out!
Not worthy
Now that you are retired, this is what you will hear;
Hey, you’re retired, can you take care of this for me?

Happy for ya brother! Have fun!

BP.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.. Stay healthy. Berry can agree like me. "It's a Blast" He** i still work to have fun. It's not a job... It's an adventure...

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Today was my last day working for the Government. Now I start working for myself, but tomorrow I have to help a buddy move, a neighbor with some yard projects & who knows what else. LOL!

Now you are going to find out that there is not enough time in the day to be retired. It won't be too long you say to yourself "How did I ever get all this shot done when I was working?"

Congrats...Enjoy retirement I sure do

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1217 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Good golly, I don't know what to think. I'm definitely staying busy, hopefully I settle in a little. It's going to take some time to adjust.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's going to take some time to adjust.

True. It's simply a matter of time. After all you have a life time of habit to break.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2329 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was offered a buyout in 2005 at 58 years old.The next day I started working another place. The good part was I could quit anytime I wanted. Started a business with my Brother. Lived in a Fifth wheel trailer all over the U.S. for 6 years. Raised Chickens ,planted a garden, just what ever I wanted to do. I would not change a thing.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm into my 3rd week of retirement & I have enjoyed every day so far! I'm still in the adjustment phase, hopefully one day it will just go away.

I thought I was going to miss my remote work location, because I had been there so long. That's an oddity for the military. I served 20 years of my 26 years served at that location. Then hired on as a defense contractor (Northrop Grumman) for 1 month shy of 15 years at the same location. I only miss a handful of co-workers & we are staying in touch. I was going to ramble a little more, but I'll leave for another day; maybe.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Still no regrets, other than I should have retired a couple years ago.

I had to break-in our well house/storage building this morning. I wouldn't make for a good criminal; it took me a while & I made lots of noise. This all started with the garage door not opening. I'm spoiled, the building has a garage door opener & that's all I use for access. Well, I'll go in through the man door. Nope, didn't have a key for either lock. So, long story short; it took about 2 hours between the forced entry & replacing the door handle/dead bolt. Now I have to figure out what's wrong with the opener. It sure is nice to have the time to take care of these issues.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You have some catching up to do! Laughing Hard

I’ve never been so busy!
I’m having a blast though!
Retirement is basically another job title with more hours and less money but. You are the boss!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:

I’ve never been so busy!
Retirement is basically another job title with more hours and less money but. You are the boss!

No Shyt!

Last couple of days I've been getting things ready for the MI. trip. I'm driving back this time; it has been 5 or 6 years since I've done that. I've got plenty to do when I'm back there & Aug. in Southern MI. s..ucks for heat/humidity. I hope to find a little time to fish in Dads pond. I haven't done that in many years. I've caught some killer bass out of there!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:

I’ve never been so busy!

No Shyt!

Last couple of days I've been getting things ready for the MI. trip. I'm driving back this time; it has been 5 or 6 years since I've done that. I've got plenty to do when I'm back there & Aug. in Southern MI. s..ucks for heat/humidity. I hope to find a little time to fish in Dads pond. I haven't done that in many years. I've caught some killer bass out of there!

Bass! I’m in!

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I shut the door on that JOB bs 22 years ago and have never looked back or missed it. So I am now 81, pretty healthy, and do as I please. And I doubt I’ll run out of money no matter how hard Joe try’s to shrink the dollar. I do see some of you at the races as I still get to compete. Life is good

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I shut the door on that JOB bs 22 years ago and have never looked back or missed it. So I am now 81, pretty healthy, and do as I please. And I doubt I’ll run out of money no matter how hard Joe try’s to shrink the dollar. I do see some of you at the races as I still get to compete. Life is good

I hope to follow a similar path as you, sounds like a nice life! Planning on making more racing trips, like I did in the past. While I loved my career of serving our great country, it's nice do as I please now.

USA

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Leaving in a few to spend a minimum of a month with Dad in MI. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy time with your dad Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
At 52, I can't picture retirement. Of course I have dozens of things I want to do and learn when I have "the time". But I can't see myself not having a productive job to go to. I guess what that should tell me is that I enjoy what I do and don't mess with it. But I'm kinda even looking forward to my next challenge professionally. If I do retire, I think I would have to pick up something in the way of a small business to keep me productive. And focus a little more on keeping fit. Or fitter.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6359 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I retired at 62 and it lasted a month...I was bored to death so I found a part time job and worked for about 8 years more...that money all went into my racing operation...my advice to most folks retiring early is to find something to do....part time job, volunteer work, whatever...fishing, golf, etc. only go so far...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post