DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Quaker City Motorsports Park
Page 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 245
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quaker City Motorsports Park
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of DMoore
posted Hide Post
Big Congrats out to Jim Culp. Great Job up there.

Hey John, why dont you tell us how you really feel about it....LOL

Denny Moore
1968 Buick Skylark (10.27 @ 129)

Posts: 111 | Location: Cortland, Ohio | Registered: January 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve140:
No, that car doesn't. It's bracket racing. The handicap start gives everyone a fair shot, that's what it was designed to do.

So how many finals did you win this year in Box?

quote:
Sounds like half of the people that posted in this thread. Look where they are at...

Racing at other tracks, when a few simple format changes could have them racing at Quaker.

quote:
If they are giving up that easy, this is the wrong hobby for them.

I glad you are so confident, that Race Cars will keep appearing out of thin air to sustain the attendance of your track to keep it in existance, that you don't need to care about retaining new racers.

Posts: 10 | Location: Harmony PA | Registered: October 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of mr. yuk
posted Hide Post
I glad you are so confident, that Race Cars will keep appearing out of thin air to sustain the attendance of your track to keep it in existance, that you don't need to care about retaining new racers.[/QUOTE] dude really not sure who you are, but confidence is a major plus in drag racing. your not gonna get good by second guessing yourself. here is a tip that everyone can agree on, it's called seat-time. stop crying about new racers. if your gonna get good, you better learn right now that you gotta pay your dues. get in the class and do your best,don't come on here and act like it's all bad. many of us we're thrown in the pro category and had to learn in that class. be thankfull you have the oppurtunity to learn in the street class.

Posts: 189 | Location: niles,ohio | Registered: January 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well, you will lose more than you win in this sport. This isn't a sport that we aren't keeping score and everyone gets a blizzard at the DQ at the end of the night. Catering to street tire cars isn't the only way to draw cars. The jr dragster program has turned out an awesome field of young racers and it looks like the TCR program is growing.

Not sure what people are not grasping about the class structures. They follow the IHRA guidelines without question. If it was an NHRA track it would follow the NHRA guideline the same as Norwalk does. If your car fits the class, race the class. If you don't feel you can compete in the class then do what every other racer does, work on your race program.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ex-FairmontRacer351
posted Hide Post
Culp....Nice Job!!...Big Congrats to You!!

Posts: 817 | Location: Bainbridge, Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balaska347:
You made a lot of good points but I dont think a lot of those points play aas big of a role as you may think.

Some things I dont agree with:

1: "easily increase attendance by 50-100 a week" I highly doubt it. Definitely not 100.

2: "Street car crowd the easiest to please" Totally wrong, they are actually the hardest from what I see. On all the forums I go on, street car guys/TNT guys do all the complaining and cry black sheep.

I think all types of racers are important and there should be a nice balance but, lets look at the facts... You stated 2010 was the best year for the street guys and the car counts were at an all time low and the track went under. This year was the best year for everyone but the street car guy according to you and the car counts were at all time highs. Hmmm so your saying if the track doesnt go back to a setup more like 2010 it will be in trouble. Confused

All I can say about the attendance is that the last time I was at Quaker on a Friday, that was toward the end of the season, there was barely enough Street Cars to fill two lanes. How many cars fill a lane at Quaker, 12? Shortly there after I went out to Dragway 42's Street Night, that had been moved to Friday from it's normal Tuesday. They had 130+ Street Cars. There's an example of 100 additional cars. I do agree that 50 would be more realistic count, but if nothing is changed, we'll never know.

My experience from the last two years at Quaker running in the weekday Street Classes was that those that did well were pretty damn happy with a trophy on Thursday. And the one time I did make runner up, the person that beat me was happy to get a $60 payout. Forums aside, my personal interaction with fellow racers at the track gave me the impression they were fairly easy going.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that last year the track had a different owner, and was an AHRA sanctioned track. Greg Miller does deserve a lot of credit for the large increase in attendance, but returning racers pissed off from the previous owner, and those returning to a track that was returning to the IHRA had something to do with it as well. 2010 was a much better year for accommodating the Street Car Guys, it's not their fault that the Race Car Guys no longer wanted to race at the track from a disagreement with the previous owner, or wanted to run for IHRA Points. What's to say that if the track did go back to the racing format they had last year, with the return of the record attendance Race Cars combined with the possible record attendance Street Cars, the track would of had 400+ racers a week? All I'm saying is that I feel you will ultimately get most of your new racers from people that will spend a minimum to get involved in racing by racing their daily driver they allready have. The spectators come to see the Race Cars, but if you neglect your new racers with the Street Cars, then yes, it will eventually catch up to the track.

Posts: 10 | Location: Harmony PA | Registered: October 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:

Not sure what people are not grasping about the class structures. They follow the IHRA guidelines without question. If it was an NHRA track it would follow the NHRA guideline the same as Norwalk does. If your car fits the class, race the class. If you don't feel you can compete in the class then do what every other racer does, work on your race program.

I do not question the classes, just the lack of one on Fridays. Not everyone has off on Saturday/Sunday, and there are quite a few people that are ONLY able to race on Fridays. I would have no problem racing "Stewart, Klacik, Coblentz, Wirth, Sweitzer" in the Street Class on Saturday's. I've advanced more rounds than Adam more than once in 2010. My biggest *****, along with every other person from Fridays, is there is no Street Class on Fridays. My last No Box round on a Friday was against a car that was 7 seconds quicker, and passed me at the stripe going about 75mph faster. Not only is this a pain in the ass for the faster car to wait until I'm at the 1000ft mark for his lights to come down, it's extremely dangerous. If either car has an issue at the stripe, who's going to survive, the 35 year old Compact Race Car with the 12pt cage/5 pt seatbelts, or the 35 year old Compact Street Car with the factory shoulder belt? If this still doesn't make any sense to you guys, I'll get my buddy's 67 VW Microbus, that runs blistering 23 second passes, and race No Box with it next year. An when it makes consistant passes, and goes rounds, I guarantee every other racer will be *****ing "he need's to be in another class".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gkeeton,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
So how many finals did you win this year in Box?

None. I took the year off to start building another race car.
quote:
Racing at other tracks, when a few simple format changes could have them racing at Quaker.

You misread my statement. I said the people in this thread. Most, at one point or another, were done with Quaker. They're all back.
quote:

I glad you are so confident, that Race Cars will keep appearing out of thin air to sustain the attendance of your track to keep it in existance, that you don't need to care about retaining new racers.

What? That had nothing to do with what I said. You stated racers are giving up because they can't win rounds. Like Shawn Pinkerton said, everyone is not getting ice cream at the end of the night, and I surely have lost more than I have ever won. Racing isn't something you get into to make money, or to go out and expect to win every week. (Unless you're in a heads-up class and have the deepest pockets.)

If people, like you said, are giving up because they can't win; then it's their OWN fault the track isn't getting more racers.

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr. yuk:
dude really not sure who you are, but confidence is a major plus in drag racing. your not gonna get good by second guessing yourself. here is a tip that everyone can agree on, it's called seat-time. stop crying about new racers. if your gonna get good, you better learn right now that you gotta pay your dues. get in the class and do your best,don't come on here and act like it's all bad. many of us we're thrown in the pro category and had to learn in that class. be thankfull you have the oppurtunity to learn in the street class.

I'm not that familiar with the Pro Class, but that's a lower class than Super-Pro, correct? Does Super-Pro run Delay Boxes, and Pro does not? When you race on Fridays, with your experience, you run the Box Class with your No Box Car, correct? If you don't, than you have no say in me complaining about being a Street Car not wanting to run in No Box. If this is the case, you're in the same boat, wanting to run cars that you are competitive with. Since the track separates Box, and No Box, we are all in agreement the Box cars DO have an advantage, right? If I am wrong, and you do race the Box Class with your No Box car, and are competitive, then you are a great racer. Congrats on winning the Pro Class either way.

You are right about one thing, I would like more seat time. This is why my second biggest complaint is about the additional TNT fee. That one small change would be a start, and bring me back more in 2012. As far as my confidence level, I have no problem putting cars MY EQUAL on the trailer. I've done fairly well with my racing this year, it's just a shame most of it was done at tracks other than Quaker.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
You misread my statement.

Apparently I misread most of your reply. Not being able to read all 128 pages of this post, along with typing with a negative mindset will do that. I'm sorry to have drug you into my rant.

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Big Congrats goes out to the Culpster!! Good Job Jim not worthy

Now for the rest of the whine fest going on. I thought this stuff all died about 5 or 6 yrs ago LOL. But I am finding it very entertaining.

From what I can remember, QCR ran a "Street" class then a "StreetLegal" or "Trophy" class too. While this yr QCMP lumped them into one class. I always thought it was stupid for QCR to run 2 classes for basically the same cars. Maybe there were some minor changes but alot of the cars could run both. I sure as heck dont think you will gain 50 cars by splitting off another class. 2 lanes of cars is about 40 door cars fyi. The xtra fee to T&T after losing was a rule I didnt care for myself. In ending my rant I say this SUSUAR!!!! that is Show Up Shut Up And Race

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gkeeton:
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:

I do not question the classes, just the lack of one on Fridays. Not everyone has off on Saturday/Sunday, and there are quite a few people that are ONLY able to race on Fridays. I would have no problem racing "Stewart, Klacik, Coblentz, Wirth, Sweitzer" in the Street Class on Saturday's. I've advanced more rounds than Adam more than once in 2010. My biggest *****, along with every other person from Fridays, is there is no Street Class on Fridays. My last No Box round on a Friday was against a car that was 7 seconds quicker, and passed me at the stripe going about 75mph faster. Not only is this a pain in the ass for the faster car to wait until I'm at the 1000ft mark for his lights to come down, it's extremely dangerous. If either car has an issue at the stripe, who's going to survive, the 35 year old Compact Race Car with the 12pt cage/5 pt seatbelts, or the 35 year old Compact Street Car with the factory shoulder belt? If this still doesn't make any sense to you guys, I'll get my buddy's 67 VW Microbus, that runs blistering 23 second passes, and race No Box with it next year. An when it makes consistant passes, and goes rounds, I guarantee every other racer will be *****ing "he need's to be in another class".

If the van fits the class, then race the class. No one can ***** if it is legal.

As for the big mph difference, you do realize that this happens in Super Pro often, right? A mid 11 second car runs 115-117 mph. A mid 7 second car is 175+ mph.

As for delay boxes having an advantage, I disagree. Some pretty tough bottom bulb racers that win running both pro and super pro (without the box) on many weekends. All is equal when the stage bulbs are on.

As for a Street Legal class on Friday nights, you would now upset the career Test-n-Tune racers that have to wait for an extra class to go down the track and may keep them there later to make an extra pass. I am all for a week night that is street tire cars only.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of brad3521
posted Hide Post
quote:
some of you crybabies in street need to man up. first off i suggest you get both ihra & nhra rule books. some of us guys we're running that class before any one of you we're probably even racing down the track. stop complaining about the class. why don't you take your chicken s--t up with the ihra or nhra. i never seen more sissys at one track in my life. if you want to do well then you better be able to run against the best people. don't drag me and others into this for no reason. first it was the stupid footbrake class that was just a joke from the word go, now you insult the ihra & nhra with your stupidity. just shut up and learn to race. when i race in pro [which i won this year] i footbraked myself to the victory. i don't enter pro looking for brakes. here's a suggestion for a couple of you sissy's next year at any track you attend. "GET A PAIR" don't involve people that abide by those rules mandated by the sanction

X2!!!

I think we need to make a class for street driven, unexperienced drivers with (insert gkeeton's car type and color here) cars.

Posts: 121 | Location: Warren, OH | Registered: December 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you want more seat time then just enter test and tune instead of racing on friday night! I don't agree with the way they did that either but there is a simple fix when you are obviously losing early if you are wanting to test and tune after losing just enter test and tune when you pull in. I will race anything in any class and not cry about how the rules don't help me win, i even tried to run my motorhome in the box class once but was told it didn't fit the e.t. bracket. Maybe track should make a class just for you and nobody else then you can win every week.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
..... Maybe track should make a class just for you and nobody else then you can win every week.

Oooooooh....I need one of those.....when does the lobbying begin for new classes?? Smile

I've been holding back my enthusiasm to promote some new stuff down there until they get a new racing surface.......keeping my fingers crossed.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro 301g
posted Hide Post
Hey yealll, For those of you who didnt hear... We are having a little get together at the Grist Mill in Wedgewood lanes in Austintown Ohio on Saturday Nov 5th for Bill and Tabitha Tishko as a post wedding party. TrainWreck is the entertainment and everyone is welcome. Hope to see you there.
Lou

Culp congrats on ur win... Sorry about 1st round at the classic.. just some bad luck for us in line.

Abruzzi Converters Advance Auto Parts
Wiseco Pistons
Dart Blocks
Ronald McDonald House Akron

Posts: 629 | Location: Home | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:

Oooooooh....I need one of those.....when does the lobbying begin for new classes?? Smile

You may have to get inline behind the same group of racers that lobbied change with previous management and seems to be trying to get the new management to see it there way. If they get what they want the next auction should be about 2013.

Posts: 150 | Location: Sittin at 660. | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys....I really needed that monkey off my back.

Lou, I left you way too much room at the top end and you showed me how to pay for that Friday night.

As for all this other stuff, this is crazy. I started racing 15 years ago with the same car that I am running right now. I started by running the same "Street" class that you are complaining about. It costs money for seat time and you invest it 3 passes at a time (2 TT and one round of eliminations....then go home). I had to run against guys like Flickinger, the Count, Klacik, Tharps, Stewart, etc... and I got my ARSE handed to me many times before I finally one a single round. Now I am still footbraking and running against guys with T-brakes and boxes. That's Racing....You figure out the best combination of technology that fits your racing style and perfect using it. Afterwords, learn to win....and more importantly learn to lose. I had one of my worst years ever this year as far as wins and loses, but I also had one of my best. I learned alot about my psychi and what I needed to fix to get through some tough days and still win. An example of that happened this past weekend at the Classic. I spent all day Friday in mud trying to get my trailer unstuck and then get the car to run. I had several issues that kept the car from firing. I finally got a timed run friday night and then got my Arse handed to me by my friend Lou...great job by the way Lou. But the main event was a different story...I used what I had learned this past year to take out some racers at the Classic that I really respect them as drivers and feel that they are better than me most times. Matt Obertanic is a great example of that....I will savor that win for a long time Matt....no disrespect but rather the opposite.

To be honest, I am not really sure what the complaint is. If you need more seat time go to whatever track you can get the time from. If you want to win, you need seat time and learn to lose. Every form of racing has advantages and disadvantages.

Life is Short....Live it without Regrets

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation
El Paso Mexican Restaurant

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Good job Jim, you made some good points in your post.
Fred, made it out to my first ADRL event this year, now I`m a XPS fan also. 10.5 class not bad either Ice Cream

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bowtiebobby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gkeeton:
[What's to say that if the track did go back to the racing format they had last year, with the return of the record attendance Race Cars combined with the possible record attendance Street Cars, the track would of had 400+ racers a week?

For your information jack-wad, most racers returned because of the management change, guarenteed payout, and the fact that the track decided to follow a "real" set of rules for car classes. None of that "footbrake" BS and scaled payouts. Now if those racers that are currently trying to get the new owner to change get the way way the track is run to something similar to past programs run by the old ownership, you will most certainly see a reduction in car count (which will never be off-set by a bunch of street car drivers that want to race) and I will again have something to discuss on this forum.

Man-up and learn to race....its not for everyone and definitely not for sissys. As for those trying to get the program changed, the owner should be wary of people with ideas, they usually do not represent the majority and certainly are trying to make it better for themselves. For every 1 you satisfy with decisions that are not part of the rule book, you will probably piss off 4. Like every business, customers only go where they WANT to shop.

By the way, great job Culp.....way to represent BowTIE nation.....

Posts: 106 | Location: Sitting in the Luxury Box on the Opposite Side of the Track | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post