New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prochargers legal in T/S??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I was just cruising the rulebook and got to thinking, how is it that anybody is running a pro charger in T/S. The rules clearly state: high helix roots or OEM type screw permitted, all other superchargers prohibited. A pro charger is definetely not a roots and never came on any OEM setup I’ve ever seen.

Must be why Lester switched to turbos, NHRA finally caught up with him and figured out there was a belt on the back of his “turbo”

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of msavoia23
posted Hide Post
hope thats not the case considering we have a brand new procharged car to run in TS this year. NHRA didnt seem to have a problem with LaFlam and Connelly running prochargers last weekend in Arizona

Posts: 29 | Location: Toledo, OH | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
Just call it a belt driven Turbo....

I believe this to be an oversight by NHRA and not changed correctly in the rulebook.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Jeff Connelly was pitted next to us at Tulsa a couple of years ago, he has a bad ass Pro Charged S-10 that he runs in TS. Definitely has to be a typo in the rule book. TS is like TD, run what you brung as long as it meets min weight, just don't run nitro or go faster than 6.10

Jim Thorp in Texas is another that has a bad ass nice Pro Charged TS car with a matching TD

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of msavoia23
posted Hide Post
speaking of min weight, do we know why NHRA has weight requirements for dial in classes? cant say we're too excited or feel overly safe with 250 lbs of lead added on

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Jeff Connelly was pitted next to us at Tulsa a couple of years ago, he has a bad ass Pro Charged S-10 that he runs in TS. Definitely has to be a typo in the rule book. TS is like TD, run what you brung as long as it meets min weight, just don't run nitro or go faster than 6.10

Jim Thorp in Texas is another that has a bad ass nice Pro Charged TS car with a matching TD

Posts: 29 | Location: Toledo, OH | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just run Coi Near Plug ignition with the coils on the valvecovers and tell them it’s an LS small block, you can run at 2100 lbs. that’s my plan anyway.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of msavoia23
posted Hide Post
lol...it is a mopar wedge motor so it does kinda look like a small block...

quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Just run Coi Near Plug ignition with the coils on the valvecovers and tell them it’s an LS small block, you can run at 2100 lbs. that’s my plan anyway.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msavoia23:
speaking of min weight, do we know why NHRA has weight requirements for dial in classes? cant say we're too excited or feel overly safe with 250 lbs of lead added on

quote:

I see it as more of a weight break for small engine cars rather than a weigh penalty for big engine cars. Give the little engine guys a way to run competitively, and keeps some diversity in the class.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
I was just cruising the rulebook and got to thinking, how is it that anybody is running a pro charger in T/S. The rules clearly state: high helix roots or OEM type screw permitted, all other superchargers prohibited. A pro charger is definetely not a roots and never came on any OEM setup I’ve ever seen.

Must be why Lester switched to turbos, NHRA finally caught up with him and figured out there was a belt on the back of his “turbo”

Lester is keeping the procharger setup also, When he made the switch to turbos he did all the changes specifically to allow him to go back and forth from one combo to the other quickly.

I assume it's just an oversight by the NHRA that's never been brought to their attention and/or never challenged. it would be interesting to see how it was handled if someone protested a win. they'd have to follow the letter of the rule book, right?

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msavoia23:

quote:

The reason there are weight requirements is because it's a qualified field. They try to level the playing field a little for the different combinations (small block vs big block and the various power adders).

it's not a new rule though, i know it's been in there for at least 10 years and i believe it's been there since the inception of the class.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
must be an educational thing.
The sentence regarding OEM screw superchargers relates that any "screw superchargers" other than OEM screw superchargers are prohibited.
No where does the word "only", or do the words "centrifugal superchargers prohibited" appear.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 81 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:

Big talk for a guy that thinks boost on a 4.600 bore chevy is a good idea

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
you must have been looking at an old version of the rules. The very first line under superchargers (section 7B page 7) is "Roots-type, high-helix roots-type, centrifugal, or screw-type supercharger permitted"

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86BigBlockBird:
you must have been looking at an old version of the rules. The very first line under superchargers (section 7B page 7) is "Roots-type, high-helix roots-type, centrifugal, or screw-type supercharger permitted"

I’m looking at the current e-book available to everyone on line. You are quoting Top Dragter rules. I’m talking about Top Sportsman

I’d post the screenshot but I don’t have a hosting account.

Section 7a page 2:

All entries may use a 14-71 (or smaller) standard or hi-helix supercharger. OEM type screw supercharger permitted, all other prohibited.

To Sammy’s point (even if he is a dyck) id be more nervous about rolling in with a procharger if that section I quoted were 3 sentences instead of 2 sentences with a comma in the second one. Still wouldn’t want to bet a whole bunch of money on the grammar capabilities of an NHRA tech guy.

Plus the fact that Top Dragster clearly states centrifugala are legal and Top Sportsman doesn’t kinda helps my point.

I wouldn’t screw with Lester (ever) but if I ever find myself at a race with Sammy and he manages to go a couple rounds, expect me to be standing at the head of staging with a rulebook in hand and a confused look on a tech guys face.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i see what you mean now. I would assume it's just an oversight by who ever updated the rule book, but i would also assume, unless they release something saying otherwise, they would have to enforce the rules as written if someone challenged them...

if i were a procharger guy i'd be requesting that get updated/corrected ASAP

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:
The sentence regarding OEM screw superchargers relates that any "screw superchargers" other than OEM screw superchargers are prohibited.
No where does the word "only", or do the words "centrifugal superchargers prohibited" appear.

I just like stirring the pot a little, but i think you're focusing on the wrong part of the paragraph. I think you should be focusing on how it lays out 3 specific types of superchargers (14-71 or smaller, High-helix, and OEM screw superchargers) that are permitted and then says that all others are prohibited...

Like BJ said if you look at the TD section it specifically states prochargers are permitted, but it does not in the TS rules.