New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for first Dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just Bought a 540 procharger motor and looking to get a Dragster to run top dragster. Ive been running top sportsman but never driving a dragster i dont know **** about them so my question is what type would work best a slip joint , hard tail , Suspended. Looking to run around 6.50s. Any thoughts would be helpful Thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: vegas | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I run 6.0x with a 248 inch suspended Undercover, others swear by the 270 inch hard tail slip joint Spitzers. Either or will work. If all you want to run is 6.50s IMO then find a nice later model suspended car at least 245 inches long. Danny Nelson Racecraft cars are very popular in TD and so are Ray Millers. Lots of dragsters to choose from out there.
If your Pro Charger is a front drive then you have to make sure you have the clearance for it

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've never raced a Dragster either. I've run Top Sportsman for the last 9 years. we've looked into making the jump over to TD several times. My thought process was, if i'm going to only run on Good (smooth) tracks, i'd look for a hard tail slip joint.

If there was a high likely hood i was going to run some local stuff or some less than ideal tracks from time to time i'd look for a suspended car. Ideally between 245 - 255 for a wheel base.

With either setup look for a good brand name (racecraft, miller, american, M&M, and spitzer are my tops) if you can find it and some talk to the person before you buy it or when you're looking at it. Make sure it was transported correctly, with the chassis supported in the middle while it traveling down the road.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86BigBlockBird:
I've never raced a Dragster either. I've run Top Sportsman for the last 9 years. we've looked into making the jump over to TD several times. My thought process was, if i'm going to only run on Good (smooth) tracks, i'd look for a hard tail slip joint.

If there was a high likely hood i was going to run some local stuff or some less than ideal tracks from time to time i'd look for a suspended car. Ideally between 245 - 255 for a wheel base.

With either setup look for a good brand name (racecraft, miller, american, M&M, and spitzer are my tops) if you can find it and some talk to the person before you buy it or when you're looking at it. Make sure it was transported correctly, with the chassis supported in the middle while it traveling down the road.

Add Dan Page to your list!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The only reason Dan Page wasn't on my list is you don't see them up for sale very often. Seems like if you have Dan build you a car you keep it for a long time. Which is a really good indicator of how good Dan is.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I run a double slip joint Mike Bos car, 257". I'd look into them as they have A LOT of very fast cars running out there. Car drives like a dream, owner is another story........heheheh

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86BigBlockBird:
...Make sure it was transported correctly, with the chassis supported in the middle while it traveling down the road.

I’ve had 4 dragsters. Two hardtail and 2 suspended. Towed over 50,000 miles total. Never supported anything. Never seen a problem. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just wouldn’t get too hung up on it.

My last racetech was repaired up front before I got it but it broke when it was nearly new, I think from a wheelstand if I remember right.

I personally dislike the long cars and don’t see the need for them. Ive been 216 mph at 225” and 225 mph at 242”. Both were hardtails. Our current 4 link is 237” and I wish it was a little shorter. I’ve been high 190s in a well built 260” triple slip and didn’t care for the way it responded to steering inputs.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Just like was mentioned i have been 215 in a 225" and 215 in a 262" personally i like the 225" better. It is way more fun to drive than the long car.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Another quality builder is Neils and Parks. Even used ones are hard to find.One of their main objectives are weight along with strength. Real quality.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post