Find
Notify
Tools

Top Dragster Launch Strategy
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
For those willing to share....
What strategies to you use with launching a top dragster...particularly 4 links?
How do you determine launch/two step rpm?
How does wheel speed come into the picture?
Tire pressure?
Power management?
Is the tire hooked up at some part of the launch and slipping at other times?

I'm going to be working on my short times this season, and it's a small block turbo combo, efi. So there a lot of ways I could go about it. I can only make so much boost at moderate rpm. The higher the two step, the more boost I can make. I intend to switch to a bubba eventually, but running the MT3080 tire this season. It is a little more shake prone.
Any experiences you can share are certainly appreciated. So far I struggle a bit when I get under 1.05 sixty, it's a little sketchy shake wise. If I can make this tire work for 1 flats, I would be doing well.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I like the way the laris cars work.I ran a qualifier against one of them at gainsville.

Out of the hole our reaction times where about identical.At the 60 foot and just past i didnt see him.Then maybe about the 330 he drove around me and pulled out down track.
My 60 foot was a .967 and his was roughly 1.025.On the top end i went a 6.29 and he went a 6.10 on the dot.
I would love to set my TD launch like that.Just basically drive it out of the hole.
They also could have been using a high gear only set up,not sure.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
I like the way the laris cars work.I ran a qualifier against one of them at gainsville.

Out of the hole our reaction times where about identical.At the 60 foot and just past i didnt see him.Then maybe about the 330 he drove around me and pulled out down track.
My 60 foot was a .967 and his was roughly 1.025.On the top end i went a 6.29 and he went a 6.10 on the dot.
I would love to set my TD launch like that.Just basically drive it out of the hole.

And that may be just the smart thing for me to do. Just pull timing where needed to avoid the shake and let it eat for the rest. Now that I have more fuel pump, I can turn the dials up a little more and push my luck. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

thats the difference in a roots and a procharger... They dont run higear setups by the way..

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had to smile a little when you referred to 1.02 as driving it out of the hole.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
For those willing to share....
What strategies to you use with launching a top dragster...particularly 4 links?
How do you determine launch/two step rpm?
How does wheel speed come into the picture?
Tire pressure?
Power management?
Is the tire hooked up at some part of the launch and slipping at other times?

I'm going to be working on my short times this season, and it's a small block turbo combo, efi. So there a lot of ways I could go about it. I can only make so much boost at moderate rpm. The higher the two step, the more boost I can make. I intend to switch to a bubba eventually, but running the MT3080 tire this season. It is a little more shake prone.
Any experiences you can share are certainly appreciated. So far I struggle a bit when I get under 1.05 sixty, it's a little sketchy shake wise. If I can make this tire work for 1 flats, I would be doing well.

First I don't think hard tail or 4 link makes much difference. Your combo is kinda similar to a big power throttle stop combo, meaning when your power hits your already moving vs something like Jenavet's deal where he has the power at the hit to work the suspension, chassis and the tires at the same time. I don't have a turbo deal but this is one place I'd bet a trans dump would work very good, especially with a small block combo as it would allow you to loosen up the converter in order to build decent boost before the T brake release to work the chassis, suspension and tires at the hit and without blowing through the converter after the launch. Otherwise it's a balancing act when you bring the power in since the weight transfer from the hit is mostly gone.

As for tires, small tires have a limit, period! Push them to hard and they will shake! Use the right tool for the job. As for wheel speed, you need to be careful looking at others vs yours and gear ratio and tire diameter make a difference! You need to use the accel graph with the wheel speed! Together you will get the right picture in order to go fast. Many in Promod and other go fast classes also monitor tire temp to unlock the puzzle to going fast.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post