New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving to and from the lanes
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
What are you guys doing? Driving or towed up?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I tow as with most TD at NHRA events. There are a few with Pro Charger/Vortec that drive up but not many

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My son Mike has a golf cart with a push device mounted on the front of the cart the attaches to the back of the dragster. That eliminated the tow strap and shortened the overall length by several yards, plus its considerably safer.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I was kinda wondering. I'm not at the national events. But the q16's, which often are plenty slower, has a mix. The spray cars usually just drive up. Some of the slower (6.80) cars like mine, well we drive up. But the fella that won q16 points at one track we race at pretty much drove his low 6's Supercharged BBC to the lanes every time. Of course you can't not notice him coming into the lanes. My son looked at me after he drove up..."badass". LOL it kinda was. he might tow back I didn't notice.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
My son Mike has a golf cart with a push device mounted on the front of the cart the attaches to the back of the dragster. That eliminated the tow strap and shortened the overall length by several yards, plus its considerably safer.

Bob

I also have a push bar, but consider it the same as towing to and from the lanes, not driving

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We tow one and push the other with one cart, pushing is a much easier way in my opinion

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I tow with my combination

I am sure I could drive it. Its a 540 with a F1X-12 procharger. The reason I tow is I like to pull the plugs and run the valves after most runs. Plugs always valves most of the time. I have caught small issues before they become bigger issues which even some extra idle time on the motor could have led to. For example I mushroomed a pushrod. No big deal just hurt the pushrod and adjuster. If I was driving back Im not sure I would have heard it but who knows if it would have hurt the rocker or lost the lash cap and damaged the valve.

I know not everyone has the luxury of help but I think when you get to a certain power level there is a benefit.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
We tow one and push the other with one cart, pushing is a much easier way in my opinion

We did that at Indy, pushing me and towing Mike Kalin. The little golf cart that could.....

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

We did that at Indy, pushing me and towing Mike Kalin. The little golf cart that could.....

Doing this tho, at certain tracks I do need to upgrade the engine in my cart for more torque….

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
If I'm solo, I have no choice but to drive...Generally I'll get towed part of the way and drive the rest to build heat in the motor, and so I don't burn nearly as much fuel. Tow back unless I'm pitted close to the turnout, then I'll just drive....If I'm tuning, tow there and back

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When pushing the dragster I believe that you have a better field of vision to catch something that goes wrong, like the chute at Phoenix when it fell and pulled the wing $$$$$ off the car).
Like anything there are two schools of thought both have advantages. Pick your poison.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
I get towed. I would not have enough fuel to make it back to my pit after a run.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I am the odd man out. I drive it to the lanes and back to the trailer. Currently only running it on motor at 7.0's but even when spraying anywhere from 6.70's down to 6.30's i still drove it up and back.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Moe has a fast commuter!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4471 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post