New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any new flavors of BIG Bubbas ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Never had any issues with MT until the last batch of 3197 and they chunked after 6 passes. Gonna try them again but have purchased Hoosiers just incase.

Posts: 8 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
It is too bad MT has continued to have the chunking problem. They are a great working tire but seems like 215 is the top end before chunking becomes a problem in short order. Cars below that range seem to be able to run them forever with no problems. Put 80 passes on my Hoosier C1500 with no problems (had to make a pressure adjustment, 6psi MT to 4.5 Hoosier) and change how I loaded the tire on marginal tracks (MT pull timing right away if needed, Hoosier hit it hard for a fraction of a second then pull timing). Have a new set of C1550 fir this season but the C1500 I hd were still working great.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Regarding fast TD and I am referring to cars running north of 220 MPH the 3197 has a very wide tuning window and will hook down a dirt road. But what good is that when they wont last 25 runs without blistering and chunking?. The Hoosier c1500 has a narrower window especially on a cool race track, I cant speak for the 1550, at least with my car they do, so you have to pay attention to your set up and adjust accordingly. I can live with that if I don't have to buy 3 sets of tires a year

Posts: 2408 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
steve what was the least amount of wing angle you used with the MT

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
steve what was the least amount of wing angle you used with the MT

My wing is typically in the 1-3* range depending on track conditions. The only time I can recall having more was at Tulsa D4 race, the track has a pretty good bump in both lanes around 1000ft and would really upset my car, adding wing really helped it

Posts: 2408 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Watching a video posted of TD in another thread, it sure looks like most are leaving completely hooked and tire wadded for the first 4 feet or so, then the tire gets round and stands up, I imagine with some wheel speed. Is that accurate?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6373 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Watching a video posted of TD in another thread, it sure looks like most are leaving completely hooked and tire wadded for the first 4 feet or so, then the tire gets round and stands up, I imagine with some wheel speed. Is that accurate?

Yes that is a pretty good description with the Hoosier tire. The MT bubbas acts completely different. When I switched to Hoosier I had to slow the shock extension down a bunch and it still crushes the tire pretty good

Here is a slo mo of the Hoosier launching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDWWh1N_0A

And the Bubba launching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DcU8-9zRs

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

Yes that is a pretty good description with the Hoosier tire. The MT bubbas acts completely different. When I switched to Hoosier I had to slow the shock extension down a bunch and it still crushes the tire pretty good

Here is a slo mo of the Hoosier launching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDWWh1N_0A

And the Bubba launching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DcU8-9zRs

Outstanding and helpful slow motion! Thx
My combo is kind of unique right now, and I'm struggling to find exactly how it likes to leave. Staying away from shake became pretty important to me after having to break out the welder. But I need to keep playing with it to get that 60' down.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6373 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
On a dragster, is there a general rule of thumb of when to use a little vs big bubba? Is it all car weight, ET? Is there a migration right now to the Hoosier new compound? Eventually I need to switch to a 16" combo. Historically I never liked to over tire a car. But going faster may be another story now.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a dragster, is there a general rule of thumb of when to use a little vs big bubba? Is it all car weight, ET? Is there a migration right now to the Hoosier new compound? Eventually I need to switch to a 16" combo. Historically I never liked to over tire a car. But going faster may be another story now.

when i use to run those tires, i went back to the little ones cause they werer quicker and faster.... and smoother... went as quick as 6.15 in the 1/4 on the little ones and won a national.... but like the big ones they wouldnt last

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thank you,
I wish Hoosier was offering a smaller version of the 1550. Heck even a 15” rim version

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo