New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any new flavors of BIG Bubbas ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
anything new happen to big bubbas this year ?

Posts: 16 | Location: florida | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
not sure about new flavors but i got set that look like elephant ears? 30 laps on them and roughly 4" of the tread still hasnt touched the ground.

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have run my last set of MT 3197. When I can't get 25 1/4 mile runs out of them without blistering or chunking, and MT will not do anything about it and just blames your car, it is time to make a change!!

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Man I had hoped that was fixed Steve. So far so good on the Hoosier C1500’s after 2 seasons although they are more sensitive to Loading/wheel speed than my MT were. Same problems the 3196 was having?

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEMO963:
Man I had hoped that was fixed Steve. So far so good on the Hoosier C1500’s after 2 seasons although they are more sensitive to Loading/wheel speed than my MT were. Same problems the 3196 was having?

3197 has same problems as the 3195, 3196, blistering and chunking, its never been fixed but they just tell you its your set up not the tire. MT needs to put a disclaimer on these tires not to be run 1/4 mile in excess of 200 mph.

I got a set of 1500s I am going to test with next week. I wanted to get the new 1550 but none available

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Same old song and dance

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Too bad they keep blistering and chunking. Such a good tire. I won't go back.

Posts: 8 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Show2Me:
Too bad they keep blistering and chunking. Such a good tire. I won't go back.

Give the Hoosier C1500 or the new C1550 a try.

2nd pass. C1500. Worked fantastic, zero shake

Video of run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DviQMeDGOfQ

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Steve, did you make any suspension changes for that tire or bolt them on and go? I just put a new set of Big Bubbas on my car because I had them and heading to the Million in Montgomery, AL but I think I am going into next season with the C1550.

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
That C1500 is a great tire, my son Mike got a lot of runs out of them. Very consistent results.

Bob

Posts: 3076 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
Steve, did you make any suspension changes for that tire or bolt them on and go? I just put a new set of Big Bubbas on my car because I had them and heading to the Million in Montgomery, AL but I think I am going into next season with the C1550.

Only made 2 runs.On the 2nd pass I tighten the shock extension some to slow the shock down. from a video of the tire on the first pass it was crushing the tire pretty good at the hit. We have a race this weekend in Tulsa, I am sure we will keep tweaking the air pressure and shocks as needed to fine tune it but was extremely happy with the initial results

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So I am not going to say that all the bubba issues are MT and or the race setup, it's a bit of both. I have a set of 3197's with over 200 runs on them and have been as quick as .965 in 60'. The tread is perfect.

Again, as with any tire brand, all have good points and other! For me and many other RED combo's, MT is king! One good tire shake run and you just shortened your gear set and ring & pinions life span by a large amount.

You still have to ask yourself, why hasn't GY or Hoosier been able to duplicate the MT Bubba tire after years of trying? HMMMM

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
as quick as .965 in 60'. The tread is perfect.

AL
it seems the damage to the mickey occurs around 1000 feet plus and in excess of 215 to 220mph,not the 60 foot

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
MT told me the life expectancy of a 3197 on a fast 1/4 mile top dragster is 40 runs max. I told them I wish I could get 40 runs on them, 22-25 and they start coming apart. They simply can not handle the speed from 1000 ft on.

Update on the Hoosier C1500, 12 runs, zero shake. Went 6.07@233 this past weekend. Only issue had been they have so much bite the car is wheel standing on a cool tight track.
I can fix that, I can not fix a blistering and chunking tire.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
as quick as .965 in 60'. The tread is perfect.

AL
it seems the damage to the mickey occurs around 1000 feet plus and in excess of 215 to 220mph,not the 60 foot

Not that this applies to all, but there are a number of fast TD cars that use a rule satisfying wing which does nothing with regards to producing down force, this situation is even worse on a hardtail car with respect to the rear tires.

Like I said, nothing and no one is perfect.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine running regularly with virtually no wing. When I got to 190, the runs were sketchy enough in the last 100' that I was uncomfortable without the wing

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I can't imagine running regularly with virtually no wing. When I got to 190, the runs were sketchy enough in the last 100' that I was uncomfortable without the wing

I would say that the car design and the track or tracks you race on have a lot to do with what you stated. I have been 200 with no wing and go 194-197 normally with no wing without any issues. But on bumpy and iffy tracks, especially with hardtail cars, a wing is a nice option.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I would say that the car design and the track or tracks you race on have a lot to do with what you stated. I have been 200 with no wing and go 194-197 normally with no wing without any issues. But on bumpy and iffy tracks, especially with hardtail cars, a wing is a nice option.

Depending on track conditions I generally run my Spitzer wing in the 1-3* range set with a digital level. MT told me I should run my wing with 0* downforce to prevent blistering and chunking. I asked them if they have ever driven a dragster in excess of 230 mph without any down force, all I got was crickets....

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Fuzz
posted Hide Post
I run the same C1500s all year with no issues and have been 380 at 191 in 1/8th and 6.0s at 233 in 1/4. I hear the c1550 are even better. I also have them on my 4.60 bracket car my son drives and they are great. SO one car has been .959 to sixty and other one is 1.07.

Posts: 231 | Location: Hollywoods cool Skool | Registered: April 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think that at those speeds you need a significant wing to make tire work and last. My junk was much slower and it worked much better on top end when I put a wing on it. Think it would really help you guys.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3977 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post