Find
Notify
Tools

wheelie bars or weight?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Driving a short wheel base (235) in TD the wheel stands can be an issue.
Debating on more weight up front or trying a wheelie bar.
If I go the wheelie bar route spring loaded or long and solid?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
Can't really give you any advice on the best wheelie bar configuration, but I must say that was one, b i t c h i n ' wheelie last weekend, Bruce! Big Grin Not worthy

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7110:
Can't really give you any advice on the best wheelie bar configuration, but I must say that was one, b i t c h i n ' wheelie last weekend, Bruce! Big Grin Not worthy

I'm still grinning. First time i have ever had a rear wheel 60'
Best of all was the look and remarks from my Grandson!

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
may require both , on our 272" Spitzer it required 30 lbs in the nose , as well as a wheelie bar , which it rode for almost 60'every run as well .. every car is different , I prefer a longer "flexible" bar to help not unloading the tires .. not spring loaded ....

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Bruce I'm not sure if you remember my short 225" Undercover car but i had to move the battery out to the nose,46lbs. After that i added 20lb more under the battery. Finally i ended up with the long wheelie bar and depending on the ET it would ride the bar for 100ft. Have you scaled the car to see how much weight is on the front end?

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
Bruce I'm not sure if you remember my short 225" Undercover car but i had to move the battery out to the nose,46lbs. After that i added 20lb more under the battery. Finally i ended up with the long wheelie bar and depending on the ET it would ride the bar for 100ft. Have you scaled the car to see how much weight is on the front end?

Moe no I have not scaled it in the last ten years LOL, I currently have 30 lb weight bar and in Vegas I bolted a spare starter up there and lowered the launch to 3800 I have another 40 lb bar I can replace the starter with. Maybe I need to put the larger pulley back up on top.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:

Moe no I have not scaled it in the last ten years LOL, I currently have 30 lb weight bar and in Vegas I bolted a spare starter up there and lowered the launch to 3800 I have another 40 lb bar I can replace the starter with. Maybe I need to put the larger pulley back up on top.
Or let her it!

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
likely both, and maybe timing..

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
likely both, and maybe timing..

Pulling 11* at the hit for 1 sec.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How fast are you going? Have you weighed the front and rear separately?

IMO not matter what, the car has to be balanced with or without a wheelie bar. If it's too light up front it could/will mess with your lights and also hit the bar to hard which will upset the rear tires.

For fast cars that have to deal with wheel speed, the wheelie bar is not just a safety deal, it's a launch tuning tool!

The converter also plays a big role here too!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
IMo doing both would be best. That way you do not have to add ton of weight and you should not be hitting bar as hard.

Now limited tuning on car with auto at your level. Back when we where running low 6's in alky dragster. We would try to make tire spin a little by hitting it harder.So as to spin some instead of hooking tire and pulling front end. Now if you are powering into it that is easy to fix with timing control.

As for riding it past 60's that is just what car should do on good run,Heck I was carring them to almost half track and had 3.60's and 5.70 1/4 times way back then.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I'll see about what the weight is on the front end.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
My car never did wheelstands until I put Hoosiers on it, then it started driving into power wheelstands from the extra bite. At first I lowered the wheelie bar and it hit it hard enough that it unloaded the chassis and knocked the tires off of it. Thought about adding weight to the nose since I only have 9lbs up there from the K&R compressor mounted up there. Instead I raised the wheelie bar back up and slowed the shock extension down 5 clicks and raised the top bar up 1 hole in the front and the problem was cured and hasn't been an issue since.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
If you can steer you're not trying hard enough!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post