Find
Notify
Tools

favorite/best head gasket for boost
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Recently installed new larger blower on my dragster. Went from older 1071 to new HH 1471.
Boost jumped from 10 psi to 17 and blew out the Cometic head gaskets.
Looks like I need something better at sealing.
What is being used on boosted applications?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Bruce why not copper and o-ringed? When i changed jets i ended up having to change head gaskets. Super Angry

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
definitely needs to be o ringed

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I ran Cometics successfully up to 20+#, but if it gets lean you're in trouble.

O-ring it and be done with it.........

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3093 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Mine is o ringed on head, grooved in block. Using Flat out Gaskets, coated copper gaskets. 18-27 lbs boost.

Clark very makes good gaskets but not coated so you have to silicon around all the water jacket holes if your block is wet

Very important to re torque copper head gaskets after first heat cycle

Posts: 2394 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
Bruce why not copper and o-ringed? When i changed jets i ended up having to change head gaskets. Super Angry

Moe, the cometics are what came with the engine/car when I bought it.
I had planned on rebuilding after the Vegas Div.
I'll just be doing that sooner. Still planning on running a wet block and looking for opinions on which will work best.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can beat the Cometics other than going to O-rings.

That being said watch your tune up, make sure it's not lean, read your plugs. Be a little conservative with timing and don't go over 20# boost. Make sure the deck surface of the heads are flat. Do you know the CR of the engine?

I'm assuming it's a BBC, does it have the valley head studs?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3093 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
sce cooper gasket and O-ring w/o question. Cost is lot less than burnt head. Works even when tuneup goes bad and at some point it will.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I don't think you can beat the Cometics other than going to O-rings.

I'm assuming it's a BBC, does it have the valley head studs?

It's a factory Bow Tie block. So unless they were added buy the previous owner, I will say no.
If they are not there I will add them.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It’s wet.

Bob

Posts: 3058 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Copper gaskets and o-rings with receiver grooves...

I run a nitrous combo and that's what I use, run it more N/A than anything. Couple decent coats on each side with copper spray a gasket and not one single leak. Takes some work to get the heads off too. Nice because you can reuse the gaskets, saves some coin on refresh or teardown...and you can play with thickness of the gaskets too for tuning.....just a thought.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
To the OP: where did the Cometics fail?
between cylinders? or were you pushing out coolant? We run Cometics and have started to push combustion pressure into cooling system at about 18#'s....head gaskets show some"fretting"
or removal of black coating on both sides of the gasket near the block coolant holes at the rear cylinders..Heads may be lifting.Spoke with engineer at Cometic last week and he suggested
Torquing the head, leaving it set for several hours, then mark ,loosen headbolt stud/nut and retorque...We're probably going to go the copper
O-ring route although I prefer the overall ease of using the MLS gasket.Considering new head studs as well as these have been with the motor for years....As Bender stated, Lean tune up is tough on parts with Cometics and boost....Any one else experience combustion pressure in cooling system from head gaskets leaking?
Thanks...

Posts: 225 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Similar experience, ran cometic and had great luck at 16lbs, at 18 started to show some fretting as you described. At 20-22 lbs had some pressurization of the cooling system and evidence on the deck that combustion was escaping from cylinder to water passenge. Would reseal (static compression didn’t change) and tried the retorque as described with no luck. Went to o-ring and copper gasket with copper spray and no problems at 32 lbs.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nemo !! Did you O-Ring the head and put Receiver groove on the block?...

Posts: 225 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
My o-ring is in the block with the receiver in the head.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rhino
posted Hide Post
I use flat-Outs or clarks. 35psi all day long !! Cool Cool

Rolla Competition Engines
Procharger Hemi
Spitzer Racecars

Posts: 1379 | Location: Harley Town Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
To the OP: where did the Cometics fail?
between cylinders? or were you pushing out coolant? We run Cometics and have started to push combustion pressure into cooling system at about 18#'s....head gaskets show some"fretting"
or removal of black coating on both sides of the gasket near the block coolant holes at the rear cylinders..Heads may be lifting.Spoke with engineer at Cometic last week and he suggested
Torquing the head, leaving it set for several hours, then mark ,loosen headbolt stud/nut and retorque...We're probably going to go the copper
O-ring route although I prefer the overall ease of using the MLS gasket.Considering new head studs as well as these have been with the motor for years....As Bender stated, Lean tune up is tough on parts with Cometics and boost....Any one else experience combustion pressure in cooling system from head gaskets leaking?
Thanks...

Gasket failed on #7 cylinder. Burnt through to head stud and on to the water jacket. Burnt the head, but I will be able to weld it up easily. Made 17# boost when it happened.
I will be going to O rings and copper gaskets.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bruce..Was that on an iron block? Very similar
failure on our motor...# 7 as well with the stud at the 5oclock position on that cylinder at 18#'s
We're going copper and O-rings as well...What size bore were you running...??

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
Bruce..Was that on an iron block? Very similar
failure on our motor...# 7 as well with the stud at the 5oclock position on that cylinder at 18#'s
We're going copper and O-rings as well...What size bore were you running...??

Yes Iron Bowtie block #7 at 5 o'clock 4.530 bore. I bought a new Merlin 4 block so I will be starting out at 4.500.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to try the Willis/Cooper rings.
Maybe I can talk a friend with a boosted bike (20-35 psi) to go that route.I am told that even if the head lifts a bit they are pretty good at staying sealed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wills_Ring

Later Larry

Sapere aude!

"Put some jam on the bottom shelf where the little man can reach it."

"The Truth", it's just another liberal conspiracy!

Posts: 1235 | Location: Port Charlotte, Florida | Registered: December 16, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post