DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Top Dragster & Top Sportsman Forums - by Oakley Motorsports    Top Dragster and Top Sportsman new index
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Dragster and Top Sportsman new index
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
How many people agree with the new index 6.10 starting next year and how many people think it should be left alone?

It's a done deal just being held for announcement till later in the year.

Posts: 1 | Location: slowville | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Being brand new to TD I really dont have an opinion and should not offer one.. But one thing for sure it will do is tighten up the top half of the field a bunch. This past weekend at Tulsa it took a 6.21x to make the top 16 and there was 9 cars between 6.0 and 6.10. Now take those 9 cars and squeeze them between 6.10 and the 6.21 and you have some very close racing and I think that's badd azz. My car went 6.15 so its puts me right in the thick of it Big Grin

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Wow thought more would respond to this...maybe it should be in the general discussion section

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
My car went 6.15 so its puts me right in the thick of it Big Grin

Wow !!! Steve I did not know you went that fast, great job!!

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by superpro2009:
How many people agree with the new index 6.10 starting next year and how many people think it should be left alone?

This is lame. Leave it at 6.00. If you go under you lose. As for breakouts, 5.999 is worse than any breakout. Seems simple top me.

What happens if you dial 6.10 and go under then? Change it to 6.20?

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bobalbertyjr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:
quote:
Originally posted by superpro2009:

This is lame. Leave it at 6.00. If you go under you lose. As for breakouts, 5.999 is worse than any breakout. Seems simple top me.

^^^THIS^^^

Posts: 36 | Location: Broken Arrow Oklahoma | Registered: July 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
It’s their playground and they make the rules. Agree it will tighten things up and if it keeps them from making us all upgrade tens of thousands of dollars in equipment (floaters, cert wing stands, etc) because some of us run the occasional 5 second run then that’s fine with me. Just Upgraded stuff to push our car up against the 6.10 mark to make sure we can qualify.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by superpro2009

If this is true all you fast T/D should start emailing your director so they can felt the backlash of this change..... Tell every one NOW

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:
Originally posted by superpro2009

If this is true all you fast T/D should start emailing your director so they can felt the backlash of this change..... Tell every one NOW

Pretty sure all this started with our D4 director......

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Answer:
PDRA

I WAS going to our local NHRA divisional at LVD in a couple weeks.
BUT I GUESS NHRA doesn't want me so maybe I'll go to the Virginia PDRA race that weekend.

They don't want ME, so be it.
I'll take my $$$ else where to someone that wants me to run fast.
Maybe on the OFF PDRA races I'll do NHRA Super Comp, 8.90 at 235.
I can use a regular suit, sneakers, No HANS, -1 gloves and still have fun going fast.
WHATS next NHRA, can't go faster than 199 MPH.
And don't try the BS of Insurance.
You've got guys hanging out of their cages going 185 - 190 run after run ON VIDEO but that's not an Insurance issue, or guys smashing the brakes going sideways run after run ON VIDEO but that's not an Insurance issue either.

Two Thumbs down

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Last year at NRP Summit Nationals we lost in the Semi's I believe, on a double breakout. Our opponent ran a 5.96 but didn't breakout by as much as we did. I reasoned that they should lose because by allowing them to advance, the NHRA was approving a car to run an ET beyond the certification levels of the class for which it was stickered... discussion on DRR didn't produce much concensus other than sub index runs in the Super classes are governed by normal break-out rules...I felt the legal department of NHRA would eventually settle this with "Liability" being the priority... I dont understand the rationale on the 6.10 index...will normal break-out protocols stay in place? What happens if someone runs in the 5's?
are they disqualified for the event? I think NHRA believed that by moving the index away, it may discourage some old TAD's from migrating into T/D and creating another issue with the self starting argument and their legality to run faster than 6.00...As stated earlier keep the 6.00 index and DQ the car for running 5.999 or faster, regardless if it has a superior chassis cert tag or not...Of course their will be the argument that the Super classes aren't DQ'D for running below their index....lol This will get
bumpy...

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
What the D4 director has been doing this year is 1st run under you get warned, 2nd run under in the same event you are DQed from the race. Problem is there is not a rule stating that but somewhere in the fine print it is at the directors discretion I was told.

1st round in Bristol today Danny Nelson went 5.99 and the other car redlighted. Danny moved on the R2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
how about revisiting the god knows how old chassis certs, lic requirements etc.

Due to the increase in technology and people's desires it's very easy to run 6.00 and even faster with little to no maintenance today.

Why not meet with sfi and whoever else makes decisions and make the index 5.75(lic and chassis cert good to 5.70) to allow the class to progress and keep the fast guys happy and welcome??

Nah let's slow it down because of a few pussies always crying and we don't care what the racers think. You wonder why the class is starting to go backwards!!!

But in the end NHRA doesn't care if they have 32 cars running 6.05 or 32 cars running 7.40. It's all the same to them.

And Frank you hit the nail on the head. Come race PDRA - I guarantee you will never go back ( well maybe for a few local races running NHRA)

-4,000 to win and you're paid on the spot.
-Some not many contingencies, but collect from the asswipe co's who do everything to get out of paying that post for nhra.
-2 day race
-all the classes are badass
-16 car field (their "elite" field is supposed to keep slower guys out(when cars come out its fast))
- race is over Saturday which gives time to drive home in time for work Monday for those who need that option.
-no pussies crying about cars et and/or mph because most want it fast and even faster.

Kind of all positives in my book.

Will Hanna has a great idea to introduce a new class into NHRA called pro comp . 1/8 mile bracket style race with a low dial of 3.66 and a max dial of 4.10 to keep it somewhat fast. Anything goes, run what ya brung. Cars, altereds, dragsters, funny cars etc etc.

The idea is great but we all know NHRA will NEVER even think about it let alone implement the class.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michael Galofaro,

Posts: 415 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TD5023
posted Hide Post
I understand the backlash, but I guess I just can't get myself too worked up about it. Then again, I'm still a few tenths above 6.10, so if all the fast guys quit in protest, maybe I'll be able to qualify more comfortably Smile

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: April 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
So there are rules in place but some have built their stuff to operate outside of the rules and now they expect the rules to change to fit their agenda,yep I think that sum’s it up.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
5.99 an actual TAD spec. I believe...Instead of passing on more safety spec costs to the entrants they raised the index. I can see the reasoning. I think it’s s good call and yes the 6.00 index is really cool. Think about it, did you ever in you’re wildest dreams think we would be bracket racing 5 and 6 second cars? The safety rules are in place to protect you.
JMHO...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Scott @ Moroso
posted Hide Post
The simple reason this is happening is because there is a big difference between a Top Dragster and TAD when in comes to rules requirements.

Ill assure you that if you had to make your car TAD legal, that the complaining would go through the roof. The SFI specs have been established for a long time, and are not easy to change.

All NHRA is trying to do is allow double break out wins to be legal, and to have a point at which Top Dragster, and Top Alcohol Dragsters are segregated into seperate levels of investment.

Running 6.0's and making your car running 6.10's is a very simple process that will save most people money, and in some cases will save people from tearing up more parts.

I always know when the righ decisions gets made by NHRA based on how much hatred is shown toward them. I would love to see you have to make the big decisions that they have to do on a contsnat basis so you all have a place to enjoy your hobby and passion.

I have watched a hand full of people run way quicker than they realized and go mid to low 5.90's. Why not make it so this just wouldnt happen at all.

There are rules in life for a reason, and this is no different.

Scott Hall
Sales Engineer
Moroso Performance
scotth@moroso.com

Posts: 54 | Location: Guilford Ct. | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott @ Moroso:
The simple reason this is happening is because there is a big difference between a Top Dragster and TAD when in comes to rules requirements.

Running 6.0's and making your car running 6.10's is a very simple process.

I have watched a hand full of people run way quicker than they realized and go mid to low 5.90's. Why not make it so this just wouldnt happen at all.

There are rules in life for a reason, and this is no different.
This still sum's it up.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
Here's my latest take.

Leave it at 6.0
If a car goes 5.999 at any time and its not TAD certified and the driver is not wearing the proper safety equipment, the run is DQ'd.

This wont cost anyone anything.

Maybe I'm being to simple here...

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:
Here's my latest take.

Leave it at 6.0
If a car goes 5.999 at any time and its not TAD certified and the driver is not wearing the proper safety equipment, the run is DQ'd.

This wont cost anyone anything.

Maybe I'm being to simple here...
My thoughts exactly.