DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Top Dragster & Top Sportsman Forums - by Oakley Motorsports    Top Dragster and Top Sportsman new index
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Dragster and Top Sportsman new index
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
I don't get the reason for the change.
The rules already exist.
It only effects a handful of cars. I don't get it.

What I see is NHRA just made it so ALL cars will be spiking the brakes at the finish line just like all the other Super Classes.

NHRA sure as heck didn't make it any safer with this rule change.
I hope their Insurance is paid.
2 dragsters closing in on the finish line, one going 190 and the other 235, both spiking the brakes.
WHAT could POSSIBLY go WRONG?

Eek

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Would love to race PDRA, don’t enjoy the 1/8 mile racing as mich but like the way we are treated. That said PDRA doesn’t have a race within 14 hours of me. Loved the Dallas and Tulsa PDRA races but they dropped them. They come back to the Midwest I will support them for sure.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Scott @ Moroso
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Everyone I know either takes timing out early in the run, or drops the boost 2 or 3 psi and drive it out the back door succesfully. No one is slowing their stuff down at the finish line...its going to fast and you can't lose that much E.T. after 1000' anyway. You know that. You knew that 6 years ago......

Your car can run mid 6.10's all day long....ill help you at lebanon do it.....and its still a fun ride going that quick....and you can go rounds and have lane choice just about every run....

Scott Hall
Sales Engineer
Moroso Performance
scotth@moroso.com

Posts: 54 | Location: Guilford Ct. | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
if your dialing say 6.0 to 6.05 there is literally no margin for error if the air gets really good throughout the day etc...
so if you go 5.999 or faster your day is done and it could be in late rounds.
at least with a 6.10 dial you can break out and still win the race if its a double break out vs 5.999 or faster your out no matter what

im liking what nhra and scotts take on this,makes more sense

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
if your dialing say 6.0 to 6.05 there is literally no margin for error if the air gets really good throughout the day etc...
so if you go 5.999 or faster your day is done and it could be in late rounds.
at least with a 6.10 dial you can break out and still win the race if its a double break out vs 5.999 or faster your out no matter what

im liking what nhra and scotts take on this,makes more sense
Why not set the car up for a 6.10 to begin with ?

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not set the car up for a 6.10 to begin with ?

someone must be tracking the number of sub 6 second break outs and it must be enough for nhra to adjust the rules

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Michael i am trying to understand why the cars that are now running 6.00 and sometimes run into the 5 will stop if the index is moved to 6.10,why not just slow your car down to the 6.10 now? Asking for a friend as my junk is way to slow anyway.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I just want to run 5.99 one time before the index change just to say I did it. All I need is some good weather, good track and a faster pulley Big Grin

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I just want to run 5.99 one time before the index change just to say I did it. All I need is some good weather, good track and a faster pulley Big Grin
Steve i heard it is pretty easy as i have seen woman and children doing it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Steve i heard it is pretty easy as i have seen woman and children doing it.

If the opportunity is right, you can take it to the bank that I will try

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Just a crazy thought here,if they make it 6.10 and you happen to run into the 5’s will they DQ you or not?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
T/D6591,
I would say yes since those are the rules NOW.

Scott, thanks for the offer (as I'm sure you are kidding), I think I know how to tune my car.

My point about this WHOLE issue is that NHRA made a change and did NOT even talk to us (the guys that the change would effect). There is only a handful of us in the country that this pertains to, why not talk to us.
That's my beef. They sent out a survey for changing the SC 8.90 index.
TD -- Nothing.

So what happens next year when they say they want to make it ALL RUN or change the index again to 6.70 from 6.10.

They can't use the "Insurance" BS either. They have 100's of guys a year hanging out of the cage in the Super Classes ON VIDEO, or spiking the brakes also ON VIDEO. No one says a word.

When they make changes like this with out consulting us or giving us a GOOD reason it makes me reconsider this TD thing.
It's got nothing to do with slowing my car down.
It has EVERYTHING to do them NOT asking us.

I've been doing this since the class started.
I do this for the FUN.
Right now I'm concerned they will keep slowing us down, that's not fun to me.

I WAS going to attend the rest of D1 divionals this year and all of them next year. Not now.
Looks like PDRA or some local races is where I'm heading.

I'm signed up for the Epping National, I'll probably still go. After that who knows.
Need for speed

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
When they make changes like this with out consulting us or giving us a GOOD reason it makes me reconsider this TD thing.

Frank Im going to go out on a limb and say the reason is we are the only class where our min. dial is the same as our safety cut off. I think they were trying to build some space between a legal breakout and an immediate DQ. As for changing to a 6.70 down the road that would be absurd and I would agree with you but thats not going to happen. Ken Moses is our division rep if you are this upset about it why don't you have a conversation with him. I think the rule was proposed I don't think its set in stone. He has contacts with the right people I am sure there could be adjustments made. A lot of rules get brought up only to be revised before they are implemented.

As for this only affecting a handful of cars in the country you are incorrect. There are a lot more than that capable of running those numbers and there is going to be more. I am taking this year off to put together a combo that should run 6.0s or 6.1 whatever the cut off is. I really don't care. Im not going to get worked up over a tenth of a second.

Last year people lost it because I asked how it should be handled when a car runs faster than their cert but is the lesser of the breakouts.No matter how much I stated the fact that I didn't care I was simply raising the question there were a few that couldn't comprehend the concept. As Scott pointed out its more than just a cert and license to make a car and driver legal for TAD.

It is also my understanding that you can still qualify in the 6.0s? somebody correct me if Im wrong on that? Its just that your dial in cannot be quicker than 6.10. Again if I am wrong let me know.

I will revert to what I said in that post last year which is I don't care. The only thing I care about is that it is handled the same at every NHRA race. whether its a divisional or a national. The whole director discretion thing is BS. The directors don't want it and its not good for the racers. I say put it in black and white and lets go racing.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
BJ.
I have already spoken to Ken who has spoken to Dave.

Like I said, it's not the tenth of a second, it's HOW they do this AND what are they going to do next WITHOUT consulting us.

They took away qualifying points some years ago the same way.

They have the rules in place now, to change the class ET's just don't make sense, just enforce the rules.

If I had known that things like this were going to go on I would have NOT built this combo. I'd have like everybody else in D1, (as I used to) a 6.90 bracket car that I can throw the bottle on for 1 pass to qualify then take it off to bracket race.
That was my bad for thinking that the class would take off and be fast.

Mad

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I know how to tune my car

hmmm frank,sometimes ive wondered Smile

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
BJ.
I have already spoken to Ken who has spoken to Dave.

Like I said, it's not the tenth of a second, it's HOW they do this AND what are they going to do next WITHOUT consulting us.

They took away qualifying points some years ago the same way.

They have the rules in place now, to change the class ET's just don't make sense, just enforce the rules.

If I had known that things like this were going to go on I would have NOT built this combo. I'd have like everybody else in D1, (as I used to) a 6.90 bracket car that I can throw the bottle on for 1 pass to qualify then take it off to bracket race.
That was my bad for thinking that the class would take off and be fast.

Mad

I think you only have 2 choices Frank.

1) come to Virginia and run the rest of PDRA races and have a ball.
2) put an inline stop on that thing and run 8.90 @240

Posts: 415 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My $.02 - it's a reasonable answer to the issue.

Probably should have has a consistent policy for 5.999 from the beginning and wouldn't need this.

And yes there are way more safety loop-holes with Super Comp MPH, fast stock & SS cars with less requirements than Super Gas etc.

Regarding PDRA, get the top 6-8 TD cars going faster than the Pro Extreme cars (be the fastest cars on the property) and I'll bet something would change.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Scott @ Moroso
posted Hide Post
This rule was discussed last year, but was not implemented for 2018. Then, a group of cars, over 12, have been in the 5.90's (one car went 5.88 on its first pass that I saw in person) and someone won on a double break out this year on a 5.99 run. This all caused two DQ's from an event, and the issue has come up again, and been decided.

Frank, its not that you weren't asked, its that other peoples actions made the decision a quick and easy one. This is an issue that has alot of people upset that rules are being broken and saftey perameters are not being completly enforced.

The same argument happens on the other end of how high the E.T. should be to allow a Top Dragster field to be. A person who runs 7.60 has half the expense you do to field a Top Dragster because they don't have all the 7.49 and quicker requirements. Remember this discussion during the Lebanon Valley Top Dragster Series I ran?

And btw.....PDRA has a minimum in Top Dragster because they dont want dragsters going 3.60's and out running everyone else on the property.
I believe its a 3.65. But PDRA is awesome in every sense...and if you want to run your Top Dragster hard and get your moneys worth out it..then PDRA is the answer.

Scott Hall
Sales Engineer
Moroso Performance
scotth@moroso.com

Posts: 54 | Location: Guilford Ct. | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott @ Moroso:

The same argument happens on the other end of how high the E.T. should be to allow a Top Dragster field to be. A person who runs 7.60 has half the expense you do to field a Top Dragster because they don't have all the 7.49 and quicker requirements. Remember this discussion during the Lebanon Valley Top Dragster Series I ran?

Besides the cost I think you have to look at the safety factor of say a car running a low 6 at 230 plus mph losing control and hitting a car running 7.50 at 175mph, thats will get ugly real fast

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yes, I remember.

I just don't like the way they do things without getting our input.
As I said before, they have the rules in place, just enforce them.
How hard is that?

ENFORCE it, IF you go in the 5's AT ANY TIME, Qualifying OR Eliminations it is a DQ.
DONE. It's already a DQ if it happens in Qualifying (run doesn't count).

No need to change the class ET.

BELIEVE ME, the first time a guy loses a round of eliminations (even though he went under by less) by going in the 5's he will be slowing his car down the next race.

Not to mention as soon as other guys see his DQ they will be pulling power away.

It would take care of itself IF they would just ENFORCE it.

OH yeah, and it does NOT matter if he is TAD legal or not, it's a DQ whenever you go in the 5's.
Beating Dead Horse

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pentastarrail,

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA