Find
Notify
Tools

TD Fuel Tank Size??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted
We are moving from a 548ci nitrous gasoline engine that runs 6.6 seconds to a same sized alcohol ProCharger motor that we will be running in the high 6.3 to low 6.4 second range.

Currently, we have a 3+ gallon fuel tank in the car and plan on refilling to the top after each run.

Question: Is this going to be a big enough tank?

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
No. It won't use 3 gallons a run, but you take the chance of sucking air on the top end. When the fuel level gets low it can create a vortice and pull it some air. Been there done that.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Understood.

We take the fuel off of the lower left corner and return it in the top right rear with a tube that runs almost to the bottom of the tank.runs

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
Understood.

We take the fuel off of the lower left corner and return it in the top right rear with a tube that runs almost to the bottom of the tank.runs

I had a 3.5 gal tank and it was sucking air when the fuel got low once I started making good power, torched a head because of it. Fuel pickup was at the bottom rear of the tank. I measured the fuel after a pass and it was only 1.5" above the top of the pickup port. Enlarged the tank to 5.5 gallons and never had another issue......my tank was a front mounted long narrow tank, so the level would get low more easily than a small tall tank.........

Mine was MFI, so any air sucked in would create a lean condition. If you are going to be carbed, it should be more forgiving. But I would look into a larger tank to be safe. If you have to sit and idle for whatever reason before a pass you could run into trouble.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I agree with Brian especially if you plan on driving too the lanes and back from the top end, 3.5 gallons could be on the edge. Guys running a pro charged combo with a carb could answer better I am sure.
Mine is a different animal and I went from 3 gallon to 7 gallon on my blown combo. I get towed too and from and burn close to 4.5 gallons on a 1/4 mile pass with warm up behind the water, sometimes more if I get hung up from some issue on the track. We always bring a jug a fuel in the golf cart JIC

Posts: 2404 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Big Steve knows!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Im blow thru and have been driving up and back to the pits.I am 5 gallons and no issues.My tank was originally 3 gallons and we pulled it out and made her a 5

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone.

We decided to bite the bullet and build a 5 gallon tank, as we couldn't find any tanks on the internet that would fit in our Don Davis dragster.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
Thanks, everyone.

We decided to bite the bullet and build a 5 gallon tank, as we couldn't find any tanks on the internet that would fit in our Don Davis dragster.

If you can easily make it a little bigger I would do that.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
This^^^

I know I'm late to the game here, but 5 gallons is the min. If I drive to the lanes, make a pass and drive back I'm pretty much out of fuel in my 5 gallon tank.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
When I switched to alky, I had a new tank made. Original was 2.4 gallons. I miscalculated that the new one would be right around about 4-4.5... ended up being just a tad short of 7 gallons...haven't regretted it yet.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post