Find
Notify
Tools

putting a top dragster on a diet
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
You could use a lightened ring gear and an aluminum spool ! A pound of rotating weight is about the same as removing 10 pounds of static weight ! Aluminum trans pump about 5 lbs aluminum planetary carrier , carbon brakes all quite expensive parts !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
True, 2.5 years on my aluminum spool so far

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
pick either the front or back of the car and start there. look at every piece and ask yourself, "do i need this to race"
if you don't need it get rid of it.
if you absolutely need it, find a way to make it lighter (grind or drill out brackets, remove any extra or unused hardware, take the rubber boots off your steering rack, etc).
if there's no way to make that part lighter, try to find a lighter version of that part or something that can perform the task of 2 needed parts.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
im working on wheels now and the lightest and least rotational mass are the weld delta 1...2400 bucks each and almost 2 months to get them!!!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you have already attacked the low hanging fruit. I would think that almost $5k for rear wheels would not be on the low hanging fruit list though! Whew! Also, at some points you sacrifice reliability. Do your replacements need to be more frequent. This go fast deal is expensive I see!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, 2.5 years on my aluminum spool so far

it looks like a light weight center with aluminum spool is 4lbs lighter than the steel.

but mark Williams suggested rip the rear apart and check the spool once a year

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
im working on wheels now and the lightest and least rotational mass are the weld delta 1...2400 bucks each and almost 2 months to get them!!!

For about 3K more you can get a 14/71 XR1 Blower and not worry about weight as much. I am 2140lbs with me in it and can run well under the index at 18%OD

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
^^^^this guy is making sense^^^^

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
For about 3K more you can get a 14/71 XR1 Blower

I don't think that's a simple bolt and go!!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
For about 3K more you can get a 14/71 XR1 Blower

I don't think that's a simple bolt and go!!

Going from your 10/71 with some adjustments to your fuel curve sure it is

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
set back?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
cam change? fuel system upgrades? ignition?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
You don't have to set the blower back, but it helps a little. Cam change, nah. I wouldn't run smaller than a 12 gpm pump. The Grid is adequate, but an 8+ is better......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
cam change? fuel system upgrades? ignition?

I run a 110 Enderle billet pump, flows 12.4 at 8000 and 13.5 at 9000, no hi speed. Currently putting about 8.6 GPM in the engine according to flow meter. MSD 8 ignition with grid controller but know of others running just the Grid/Grid without any problems.
Like Bender says, set back helps but not required. I have one now but did not last year. Really helps with distribution at idle more than anything.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
hmmm..ok I have an endele 110 also with a pump loop

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
hmmm..ok I have an endele 110 also with a pump loop

Get rid of the pump loop, its free!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Went from 10/71 to 14/71, I took the pump loop off mine to get more fuel into it, otherwise no change (did add a set back later). Still running a Grid/Grid, no other changes motor, went from 6.60's to 6.1x's with the same overdrive (16 lbs to 32 lbs of boost).

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Keith, didn't you get an XR1 also?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'd think it would be easier to just make more power than to try to lose enough weight to gain the et.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
im already in the wrong direction...moser just sent me a pair of their "lightweight" axles and they are 4.2 lbs heavier than my 12 year old moser axles wtf
I talked to greg at fti and they can build a bolt together that's 21lbs lighter than my current one.

Damn 21 lbs off flywheel that is huge.

Chute size,do you need the size you have or will a smaller one work.Few lbs there,plus help with balance.
Fuel system shorter lines,less lines and or less fittings.
Ti wheel studs and aluminum nuts
Look at all hardware you will be amazed at how much can be saved.Do you really need a bolt that big to hold a aluminum bracket on?

Can it be drilled or milled?

Biggest thing no matter how small it adds up,now something will cost out butt to cut very little.Just leave those till last.

Call Frank Parks at Neil and Parks.If its lite weight he has it. I think he drills the holes out to remove air.https://neilparks.com/ Not to mention great folks to work with and will give you tons of info.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post