New
Find
Notify
Tools

putting a top dragster on a diet
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
the last two races indy and rockingham I had to borrow cars...my block just came in from brodix

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Any rule of thumb for weight loss vs et loss for faster dragsters?

On my first blower car for every 10 lbs I ADDED to the nose I could go about .01 faster to 60’

I was going to go flyweight in my second car. Talked to someone that had built one right at min weight. He Had to add 100 lbs to make the car work. Cancelled that plan.

I’ve never heard of a roots blown car under 1900 lbs that was any good.

With a pro charger it’s probably easier.

There’s a d screw outlaw dragster down here thats flyweight and fast. It leaves like it’s got 40 degrees of timing out at the hit but seems to work pretty good.

I bet Bender has a lot more wheel speed than any T/D. I could just barely make enough wheelspeed on my last car to keep the nose down and take weight out. If the air got bad or the track got great, the nose would get light in a hurry.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
isn't that what the wheelie bar is for?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:

Not in my experience.

Wheelie bars do two things.

1. Make fine adjustments to wheel speed on an otherwise well balanced car

2. Give you an extra few tenths of a second to abort a run when you miss the setup.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Did someone say The Bender?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Did someone say The Bender?

Beetle juice!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:

Not in my experience.

2. Give you an extra few tenths of a second to abort a run when you miss the setup.

When I switched my car over to TD I spent around $600 getting a wheelie bar built and mounted on my car. I have made around 100 runs since and the wheelie bar wheel has never touched the track, I consider that a good thing Big Grin It does make a great place for the push bar mount lol

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:

Not in my experience.

When I switched my car over to TD I spent around $600 getting a wheelie bar built and mounted on my car. I have made around 100 runs since and the wheelie bar wheel has never touched the track, I consider that a good thing Big Grin It does make a great place for the push bar mount lol

They run on money. It had to be spent regardless. LOL.
No TD for me, but hoping to run my first in the 6's next year after learning a lot on my small block this year. At least should keep me in the local quick races.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
In my house we discussed taking weight of the dragster. The deal is that we will spend what is right for removing 3x the weight that I personally lose over the winter. I'm 235 now, and 6'3....and getting old. But I think 220 is attainable. I usually get stuck at 223 or so.So I ought to be able to take 30 to 45 lbs off the car plus 10-15 off of me.

Where would you start for best bang for the buck on a suspended car? The only one I am kinda taking off the table is the batteries. I have two small Brailie's in the nose that have worked really well both as batteries and as ballast in the nose.

And.....I already know I need to upgrade brakes as the ones I currently use cup the crap out of the rotors every year bad enough that I can't get them off the axle unless I take them off the hat first. So if I can combine this area with weight loss, all the better.

Nothing is particularly "trick" on the car currently. I did try a set of 15"x10.5" mt's this year...borrowed. And they were nice at 7.teens. Not sure how they will be as I get a little faster. Just a little sketchy on the big end on a so so track during the trial.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
My car doesn’t touch the wheelie bar either, just there to give me a place to sit when I’m packing the parachutes. Goal is to loose 15 lbs this offseason, usually I can do that but by the end of the race season I’m back Smile

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:

And.....I already know I need to upgrade brakes as the ones I currently use cup the crap out of the rotors every year bad enough that I can't get them off the axle unless I take them off the hat first.

I changed to the "old" version of these and have never had a problem since!

http://www.competitionplus.com...-strange-engineering

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
quote:

And.....I already know I need to upgrade brakes as the ones I currently use cup the crap out of the rotors every year bad enough that I can't get them off the axle unless I take them off the hat first.

I changed to the "old" version of these and have never had a problem since!

http://www.competitionplus.com...-strange-engineering

It seems like those designs that allow the rotor to float somewhat on the hat is the cure for the cupping. Those will be my go-to this winter.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Anyone here use much carbon fiber in their dragsters? Any big hitters for weight loss there? Wonder how a cf seat would be to fabricate? It looks interesting to work with.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The only thing CF on my car is the front and rear wings. I have got some weight off the car this year, 7.5lbs lighter torque converter, 12lbs lighter battery but biggest reduction so far is 36lbs off the driver and counting Big Grin

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
The only thing CF on my car is the front and rear wings. I have got some weight off the car this year, 7.5lbs lighter torque converter, 12lbs lighter battery but biggest reduction so far is 36lbs off the driver and counting Big Grin

I’m at only 5 so far. I think I ought to have 10-15 left in me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
While they are more nostalgia than modern TD stuff.Hayden wheels has wire wheel and tire combos that weigh 7 lbs.My welds weight closer to 14.Cost wise its about 1000 bucks for 14 lbs.Now if you have added weight on front end I do not see it as best way to got.

Want lite call Frank Parks at Neil and Parks,if it can be made lite he has it. At least check their site.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Chutes? Have you looked at cgutes for weight savings. I know some guys that have swapped two smaller because they did not need top fuel chute on slower car and about 3 to 4 pounds less.

If running dual chutes(not sure what rule is) you can run one smaller for 3 or both for 6 lb. off car. Hey its cheap weight. I know on our funny car we ran about 100 bucks a pound and at a point that climbs pretty quick.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As for Carbon Fiber Rieggels Composites has a few different options he has a bunch of things in carbon

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know Dan Page is making a bunch of things out of titanium for weight savings

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Carbon Fiber is to men as diamonds are to women.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post