DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Not Necessarily Racing News!    The new John Deere oil change system
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new John Deere oil change system
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I'm just whining here, so there. Have you seen the new John Deere lawn tractor 30 second oil change system?

John Deere announcement

It's an oil filter preloaded with oil that only takes a single turn to install or remove. They claim no mess and no draining of the oil at all.

You can probably guess the drawback. This gem of an oil filter will only set you back $40 to $50. I found them listed for $40 from Lowes and $50 direct from John Deere. My current John Deere lawn tractor uses a $4 filter (from anywhere) and a quart and a half of $4 oil (also from anywhere). I've owned two John Deeres in my life. Each has lasted 25 years. The first one was a hand-me-down from my father. I'm totally sold on buying another John Deere for a replacement. However, this oil filter baloney ticks me off.

OK. I've posted my whine. I feel a little better now. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tom ,I think this is for the city folks who buy an acreage and want to do their own service. I mean you don't think they would own a drain pan would you.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joekool:
Tom ,I think this is for the city folks who buy an acreage and want to do their own service. I mean you don't think they would own a drain pan would you.

Those city folks should just pay somebody else to change their oil. I bet somebody even has a business that would come right to their home to do it for them. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
John Deere is just trying to cash in , hope some after market company comes up on a way to work around that pricy oil change....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Definitely. Surely there must still be a place you can add oil to the crankcase. I'd be happy if I could even just buy a "dry" filter and add my own choice of oil. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
HEY!!!! Tom look what I found ..... LOL

https://www.greenpartstore.com...it-AUC12916-KIT.html

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

There is no "LOL" about it! That is outstanding! Thanks for the info. Not worthy Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

There is no "LOL" about it! That is outstanding! Thanks for the info. Not worthy Take care. Tom Worthington

I Google stuff all day long for info, your very welcome!!! Glad I could help!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
At my job (before I retired) we bought numerous John Deere and implements. You can no longer call up and get info from them on equipment. You have to buy into the program. They are keeping codes , parts and info in house to force you to come to them. Most all dealers out here are doing this also. Lots of new gimics coming out...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I sold/serviced JD for many years.

In 2004 got smart and told them to stuff their equipment and their "new" ways of doing things in someone else's lot as we no longer wanted it. Went solely Kubota and haven't looked back.

Deere was going in a direction that favored BIG business and the little guy was basically being forced out. It started with mass-market mowers which I do not and did not agree with as it took the small dealers out of the loop and favored the larger ones. Now there's more to it, but that was the nuts & bolts of it-in our case, since it was a tiny dealer that heavily focused on motorcycles (which are mostly dead now) and lawn & garden equipment. I understand having to change with the industry but in our case, the change that they wanted us to make wasn't conducive to customer satisfaction and still turning enough to keep the bookkeepers happy, at least not in the short term. And...since the owner was already in his mid 60's, it was time to start slowing down.

They're all making changes. Big time. And for many reasons. One being that they're trying to follow the automotive industry.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post