DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Footbrake & Non Electronics Talk    Ultimate slow footbrake race car.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate slow footbrake race car.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted
I need you help on my new project. I've sold my last fast race car and decided that I had one more build. the one I look to develop is a 1995 Camaro, with 350 4bbl with 2 speed powerglide with Dana 44 all discs brake.I'm planning on using a 100hp nitrous system for second gear only. No roll bar.what else would you guys add for helping running consistent numbers.thanks

Posts: 30 | Location: Canada | Registered: September 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A stripe taker!

Posts: 8 | Location: nashville,TN | Registered: November 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cicero819:
I need you help on my new project. I've sold my last fast race car and decided that I had one more build. the one I look to develop is a 1995 Camaro, with 350 4bbl with 2 speed powerglide with Dana 44 all discs brake.I'm planning on using a 100hp nitrous system for second gear only. No roll bar.what else would you guys add for helping running consistent numbers.thanks

If it does not have a good posi traction unit in it already, get one. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Really no different than building a fast box car. Good trans, converter, tires, rear end, right tune on the carb and timing.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for replying.I ran the Camaro without a posi and since the track had as much glue as a flytrap the car had no problem running the same 60' and I adjusted the air psi for better RT. Since I do not want to spend for race fuel ever again and I really thought I was finish owning a race car anymore, I decided to do the next best thing is to build a low buck race car that will be competitive. I decided to follow the Jr Stocker ways of year past, build everything yourself. My new car will be an 1987 Camaro Z/28 that is in perfect shape with an underside that you could eat of it. When I say clean I mean not a speck of rust and for this area that is saying a lot. Basically I will build a 305 L69 engine with a 350 turbo. The car came with a 10 inch rear end with a spool but since the horsepower will never get past 250hp I will not worry about breakage.I will have extra fans for cooling the rad and trans cooler, air bags in the spings for the rear. Let me know what else I might need. Thanks

Posts: 30 | Location: Canada | Registered: September 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
You will need a polyurathane tranny mount. Try to keep the tpi. My iroc i made 8 passes in a row within .008. Run with a full tank, its worth about .05 to .10 in the 60 foot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bracketracer-78,

Posts: 141 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bracket Racer, I was planning on poly on my trans mount and solid mounts on the engine. Unfortunately the engine the car came with is long gone, I'll be going with a 400 sbc(I had one around the shop) the extra cubes will help,I wanted to use an L69 305 since they're so plentiful and thought of simplicity but the 400 was eyeing me.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Bracket Racer, I was planning on poly on my trans mount and solid mounts on the engine. Unfortunately the engine the car came with is long gone, I'll be going with a 400 sbc(I had one around the shop) the extra cubes will help,I wanted to use an L69 305 since they're so plentiful and thought of simplicity but the 400 was eyeing me.

Careful, or it may end up not being slow enough. Wink Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Good morning Tom, I've just check my 400 and the block crack, probably dropped from my couple of moves these past years. So I'm going back to my original L69 305 that came out of my 1983 Monte Carlo ss that I've own since new, this is my retirement project to rebuild it. I had it stored at a friends place and the floors rusted out(divorce can cause much of the rust.lol)Anyways the motor and trans will come out of this car. I appreciate all the help.I'm hoping that 45 years of bracket racing will help in building a great SlowMomaro.Thanks

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Would the cracks in this particular 400 be between the upper coolant passages and upper headbolt holes? Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom, the 400 had a crack between cylinder 3 and 4. I notice that Bracket doesn't have much of participation about bracket racing in general. I've notice that many of the young racer that have come up the from Jr Dragster are only interested in racing with tube chassis cars that their parents continue to foot the bill. I haven't seen any starting with a slow car and moving up from that point.

DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
?

Posts: 141 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Tom, the 400 had a crack between cylinder 3 and 4. I notice that Bracket doesn't have much of participation about bracket racing in general. I've notice that many of the young racer that have come up the from Jr Dragster are only interested in racing with tube chassis cars that their parents continue to foot the bill. I haven't seen any starting with a slow car and moving up from that point.

Yeah, its crazy now how kids just jump into a low 7 second dragster right out of juniors.

I've heard parents say they were glad our home track switched to 1/8 mile because they didn't want them to run 180+ mph in the 1/4. SMH.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Can you understand why going from a 7 second 1/8th mile riding inches off the ground in a 400 lb car including driver, into a 14 second, 3500 lb street car may not be real exciting? My son will be going to college it appears, so no budget for him to race on his own dime. Do I need permission to put him in my dragster?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6359 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I can understand that. By going so quick in a junior dragster, you and your son are pretty much boxed into a corner. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
I can understand that. By going so quick in a junior dragster, you and your son are pretty much boxed into a corner. Take care. Tom Worthington

Jr's are exciting to drive. And 7.90 is what all of the older kids are qualified to go. And it costs virtually the same to go 7.90 as 8.90. I know a portion of jr drivers don't go on to drive anything else, because a rail is out of the financial question, and door cars that they can afford are less exciting than what they have already driven. I don't think it makes them spoiled or elitist. Just human. Nobody is wrong here. But the perspective is much different for those who have raced jr's compared to those who have not.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6359 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Any sort of update on this project, cicero819? Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom, well I've had time to remove all the extra unwanted weight such as impact Collin bumper, removed the sound insulation, reinstall the carper(I still want the car to look nice and stock) removed the radio, wiring Harness((weight 25lbs) I will be using an old stocker wiring box I had lying around. I've removed the heater and old air.con. Unit plus built an aluminum cover plate with strength ridge around it.Rebuilt the rear end and finish all brake and front rebuild. Now I'm in Mexico for a month long vacation, when I get back, I will get working on engine and tranny rebuild. Also changed all the shocks with old Koni's from my stockers days that were in my old stock stuff.lolLooking forward to getting back to work on it.

DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Good morning Bucky,you don't need my permission but all I was saying is that nearly all young new racers are doing it on Dad's $ and not learning at a cost level that they can afford. if they would learn all that is too learn from the bottom up maybe it would be more enjoyable for them instead of dropping out as soon as Dad stops the gravy train.

DRR Trophy
Picture of cicero819
posted Hide Post
Tom sold the car. I'm going 350 ho crate engine in 1998 Camaro someone was giving away.Posi 7.5 with rear end girdle, 350 turbo 9 inch torque.Carburetor no more fuel injection for me. tired of 3 tenth difference between rounds.