DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Footbrake & Non Electronics Talk    Manual launch rpm controller
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual launch rpm controller
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted
I understand this popular item used by many in footbrake to set launch rpm is now not allowed in Loose Rocker and Jared Pennington races. I always wanted to try one out, but not anymore. Does anyone know why they’re prohibiting them?

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Allred:
I understand this popular item used by many in footbrake to set launch rpm is now not allowed in Loose Rocker and Jared Pennington races. I always wanted to try one out, but not anymore. Does anyone know why they’re prohibiting them?

When using the hand controllers it is basically a manual 2 step.

You set the controller with a stop to hold the throttle at a constant RPM. It is much easier than holding the RPM at XXXX with your right foot, while bumping with your left.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
I understand. Sounds logical. Too bad they're being outlawed by two of the biggest footbrake race promoters in the business. I'll continue gassing the throttle with only my right foot.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Nothing but a manual choke cable.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Because they are not legal in IHRA or NHRA.

Posts: 518 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Ok. I must have missed it in the rules.

Mike Allred

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike Allred, NHRA appears to be allowing them at the bracket finals at Carolina Dragway for 2023.

Posts: 518 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
I saw that and confirmed that it is indeed allowed per NHRA’s 2023 rule book. Mike Beard’s footbrake race this October at Rockingham allows them (NHRA track). There are quite a few racers using them. Seems like a good idea to control launch rpm - while not using electronics.

Mike Allred