Bracket Talk
Manual launch rpm controller

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/55460442/m/9007068896

June 20, 2022, 07:45 PM
Mike Allred
Manual launch rpm controller
I understand this popular item used by many in footbrake to set launch rpm is now not allowed in Loose Rocker and Jared Pennington races. I always wanted to try one out, but not anymore. Does anyone know why they’re prohibiting them?

Mike Allred
June 21, 2022, 01:46 PM
Holytown
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Allred:
I understand this popular item used by many in footbrake to set launch rpm is now not allowed in Loose Rocker and Jared Pennington races. I always wanted to try one out, but not anymore. Does anyone know why they’re prohibiting them?

When using the hand controllers it is basically a manual 2 step.

You set the controller with a stop to hold the throttle at a constant RPM. It is much easier than holding the RPM at XXXX with your right foot, while bumping with your left.
June 21, 2022, 02:19 PM
Mike Allred
I understand. Sounds logical. Too bad they're being outlawed by two of the biggest footbrake race promoters in the business. I'll continue gassing the throttle with only my right foot.

Mike Allred
July 03, 2022, 03:23 AM
Footloose
Nothing but a manual choke cable.
July 12, 2022, 04:39 PM
Phil Dees
Because they are not legal in IHRA or NHRA.
July 22, 2022, 10:27 PM
Mike Allred
Ok. I must have missed it in the rules.

Mike Allred
September 26, 2023, 08:08 AM
Phil Dees
Mike Allred, NHRA appears to be allowing them at the bracket finals at Carolina Dragway for 2023.
October 11, 2023, 08:18 PM
Mike Allred
I saw that and confirmed that it is indeed allowed per NHRA’s 2023 rule book. Mike Beard’s footbrake race this October at Rockingham allows them (NHRA track). There are quite a few racers using them. Seems like a good idea to control launch rpm - while not using electronics.

Mike Allred