DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Footbrake & Non Electronics Talk    Could we be witnessing an end to different eliminators?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could we be witnessing an end to different eliminators?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Do not get overheated. I am not suggesting an end of footbraking.

Did you notice a few of the big races that are inviting footbrakers by keeping them separated from the delay box competitors until all the footbrakers have been eliminated? I noticed. I thought it was probably a slick idea.

Do ya'll remember when four eliminators (each with it's own ET break) was the norm, rather than just two? By making it only two eliminators, it condensed things a great deal and two larger purses could be offered instead of four smaller ones.

Why could this not happen by condensing it down to ONE eliminator? The footbrakers would still be competing against each other, right up to the point where there are no footbrakers left.

Personally, it would not impact me, one way or the other. I will happily compete against delay boxes if that is all there is. And in fact, I actually prefer more eliminators instead of fewer. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of easy e
posted Hide Post
I dont mind the idea for the $$ top bulb races as a way to attract bottom bulbers that might not otherwise attend, but I think it should stop there.

On the local level, at the very least, keep top and bottom bulb separate and a true entry-level class

In my perfect world, there is an all-run top bulb class, an all run bottom bulb class, & a Footbrake only class for 10.0 (1/4 mile) and slower and youre allowed to run in as many as your car fits in Car And a class for beginners

Eddie Tice

"I've over-educated myself in all the things I shouldn't have known at all"

Posts: 640 | Location: Howell, NJ | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by easy e:
I dont mind the idea for the $$ top bulb races as a way to attract bottom bulbers that might not otherwise attend, but I think it should stop there.

On the local level, at the very least, keep top and bottom bulb separate and a true entry-level class

In my perfect world, there is an all-run top bulb class, an all run bottom bulb class, & a Footbrake only class for 10.0 (1/4 mile) and slower and youre allowed to run in as many as your car fits in Car And a class for beginners

I like the idea of 2 classes, same Et break, same entry fee, same purse. Top and Mod 6.50 to 11.50 (1/4 mile), one with Delay boxes and the other either no box or footbrake.

I don't agree with "all-run" from a safety stand point only. I feel anyone racing against a 6 second dragster should have a roll bar, fire jacket and proper helmet on. I've raced 16 second cars with a 7.80 dragster and passed them with a 100+ mph difference at the finish line. Pretty scary, I have to admit.

A third class should be added for 11.50 and slower, footbrake only. Not really an entry level class since anyone can enter it. Take a bottom bulb heavy hitter and give him the proper car and it's no longer an entry level class. Where do you cut the class off to keep it entry level?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of easy e
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with all of that. I just like the 10.0 fast break for Footbrake so I can run all 3 Big Grin

I think a true entry level bracket class should race for a trophy, maybe a free entry to one of the $$ classes if you want to try it. Entry should only be a little more than a regular spectator pass. You can't be in points, and the car should be registered, insured, and driven in. Mostly though, just kick out anyone that has been racing for years but gets their rocks off by beating up on people trying to learn. I think I could get my wife and / or a friend or two to try out a class like that.

Eddie Tice

Posts: 640 | Location: Howell, NJ | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of easy e
posted Hide Post
I think we could be witnessing the end to the Footbrake section of Drag Race Results. Deader than disco in here

Eddie Tice

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
First off, full disclosure. If a cheaper to enter eliminator is offered, especially one catering to street driven cars, I am gonna be in it. To me, that is a perfect place for me. Not because I think the competition is going to be softer, but because it sounds exactly like my entire approach to brackets: Low buck all the way

I have to say, though, I do not anticipate any places offering more eliminators than they already do, for bracket racing. In my area, it is difficult to get full fields just with the two eliminators we already have. One example is Galot Motorsports Park, near me. I have repeatedly asked if they are going to run the three NHRA bracket eliminators that are run at the divisional bracket finals: Super Pro, Pro, and Sportsman. They appear to be uninterested in starting up a Sportsman eliminator. They run Super Pro and Pro. Even though NHRA Pro has an ET cutoff, it does not have one at Galot. Just two eliminators, and I am sure that has a lot to do with most other area tracks having only two eliminators, but also with the fact that they do not want to spread the purses and entry fees over three eliminators instead of two.

This is the same logic I am applying to the possibility of combining footbrake and delay box eliminators, on a more regular basis. It is not what I would prefer, but there is no denying the economic logic. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
If you combine Top and Mod into one class, I think you will lose half the field in Mod on a regular basis.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think that may have been true once, but I believe things have changed. Today's footbrakers tend to be pretty hardcore. A lot less emphasis on casual competition and a whole lot more emphasis on the size of the payouts. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
I think that may have been true once, but I believe things have changed. Today's footbrakers tend to be pretty hardcore. A lot less emphasis on casual competition and a whole lot more emphasis on the size of the payouts. Take care. Tom Worthington

Are you talking local track, weekly event or big money race? I agree with you for those that travel but not your "stay at home and chase points" local bracket racers.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:

Are you talking local track, weekly event or big money race? I agree with you for those that travel but not your "stay at home and chase points" local bracket racers.

Both, I suppose. I do not know if you have noticed it so much in your own area, but here it seems there isn't really much interest in staying near home anymore. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I think it's cyclical, and the cycle is near its peak, for traveling racers versus stay local. The number of big money races has about reached a point of oversaturation, particularly on the top bulb. There are only so many ways to slice a pie, and less than a handful per race get a big piece.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:
I think it's cyclical, and the cycle is near its peak, for traveling racers versus stay local. The number of big money races has about reached a point of oversaturation, particularly on the top bulb. There are only so many ways to slice a pie, and less than a handful per race get a big piece.

Perhaps, perhaps. We will not know until we see it.

It just seems to me that trends which started long ago (in bracket racing) have continued their logical path to this point. To have folks return to regular/weekly/local(small purse) bracket racing just does not look feasible to me. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
They appear to be uninterested in starting up a Sportsman eliminator. They run Super Pro and Pro. Even though NHRA Pro has an ET cutoff

This all seems wrong to me. Out here in the west we run all three, Sportsman is a rough class. Guys having .0teens lights and running dead on. You would think its enter level but this far from that. Also some of these Sportsman races double up into PRO, which helps the track with more entry's and better payout. And do not forget the Pro guys doubling up into Super Pro Footbraking some are down right deadly. Big difference out here we have few and far between Big Buck races and most big payouts goes to Super Pro races...Just what I'm have witness out here in the desert...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
This all seems wrong to me. Out here in the west we run all three, Sportsman is a rough class. Guys having .0teens lights and running dead on. You would think its enter level but this far from that. Also some of these Sportsman races double up into PRO, which helps the track with more entry's and better payout. And do not forget the Pro guys doubling up into Super Pro Footbraking some are down right deadly. Big difference out here we have few and far between Big Buck races and most big payouts goes to Super Pro races...Just what I'm have witness out here in the desert...

I find this to be one of the best things about this forum. Were it not for some of the things I have read here, I would not know just how different the bracket scene is in different regions. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps, perhaps. We will not know until we see it.

It just seems to me that trends which started long ago (in bracket racing) have continued their logical path to this point. To have folks return to regular/weekly/local(small purse) bracket racing just does not look feasible to me. Take care. Tom Worthington

That's the way I see things going. Racers who are getting beat up in the big money events will find value in supporting their local track more. I also think the flip side of the fast street car stuff is it may draw some racers who can't compete in heads up stuff into at least trying brackets. Tracks could help with that by having an entry level class, be it Trophy, Street Legal, Sportsman, etc.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chuck is deadon about all that. I think the track should try incentive's to get the street crowd who came out on a TNT or any heads up deal a 1/2 off or even free deal coupon to experience a bracket team event. A while back at WHP had a TNT on a Friday night that had over 450 street cars at it. What a great opportunity to help build the sport....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Again, I think it is very unlikely I will ever see more bracket eliminators added, in my own region. That is not to say it could not happen elsewhere. If I were to wager, I would have to put my money on there being fewer bracket eliminators here, in the foreseeable future.

I have no problem with hope. However, if you were to wager, would you bet on there being more bracket eliminators in your regions in say 2025, or fewer bracket eliminators? And by fewer, I mean further consolidation of the eliminators we already have. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Pro
Picture of Dave Raser
posted Hide Post
Up here in the Northeast, quite a few tracks have all these [bracket type] eliminators >>>>>>>> Super Pro .. Pro .. Street/Sportsman .. Bike/Sled .. Pro Dial .. Jr Dragster .. Jr Street .. Pro Street .. Super Street .. Trophy .. Gambler's .. Consolation .. Top Sportsman, etc.

Don't know about the future ..... but, it seems 'they' are always trying to find a way to introduce a new type of eliminator for us racers.

Dave

Posts: 1903 | Location: penna. | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Raser:
Up here in the Northeast, quite a few tracks have all these [bracket type] eliminators >>>>>>>> Super Pro .. Pro .. Street/Sportsman .. Bike/Sled .. Pro Dial .. Jr Dragster .. Jr Street .. Pro Street .. Super Street .. Trophy .. Gambler's .. Consolation .. Top Sportsman, etc.

Don't know about the future ..... but, it seems 'they' are always trying to find a way to introduce a new type of eliminator for us racers.

Dave

Are ya'll getting a fair amount of participation in all those eliminators? If so, I would say your overall local track health is looking pretty good there. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Pro
Picture of Dave Raser
posted Hide Post
Trophy's light .... Jr Street's light .... Bike's light .... all the others depend on which track you're at. They average between light to very good.

At Capitol, they are getting pretty strong turnouts, weekly (Top and Mod/Footbrake). Cecil County's 'Saturday Street Shootouts" get large turnouts for their Pro street, Super Street, and Pro Dial classes.

At other tracks that I've been or heard about .. their 'standard classes' get light to good turnouts ...... 5, 6, or 7 rounds of eliminations (some have buybacks and some don't). Most tracks around here let you run 2 classes, also ...... which attributes to the count.

From what I've experienced ... if some of the Street elim cars didn't run Pro, also .. and some of the Pro cars didn't run Super pro, too ..... they wouldn't be going 6 or 7 rds.

Dave

Posts: 1903 | Location: penna. | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post