Bracket Talk
Could we be witnessing an end to different eliminators?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/55460442/m/2847046676

January 15, 2017, 03:01 PM
Tom396
Could we be witnessing an end to different eliminators?
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Raser:
Trophy's light .... Jr Street's light .... Bike's light .... all the others depend on which track you're at. They average between light to very good.

At Capitol, they are getting pretty strong turnouts, weekly (Top and Mod/Footbrake). Cecil County's 'Saturday Street Shootouts" get large turnouts for their Pro street, Super Street, and Pro Dial classes.

At other tracks that I've been or heard about .. their 'standard classes' get light to good turnouts ...... 5, 6, or 7 rounds of eliminations (some have buybacks and some don't). Most tracks around here let you run 2 classes, also ...... which attributes to the count.

From what I've experienced ... if some of the Street elim cars didn't run Pro, also .. and some of the Pro cars didn't run Super pro, too ..... they wouldn't be going 6 or 7 rds.

Dave

I guess you might have to define "light" in those cheaper eliminators. Can you get a dozen cars in a Street style eliminator? There is one track within 100 miles of me that has a Street eliminator: Northeast Dragway. They are absolutely the exception to the rule, though.

Does Capitol have more than Top and Mod on regular bracket weekends?

What tracks have no b*ybacks?! The only one I have heard of, in this day and age, is Norwalk. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
January 15, 2017, 05:46 PM
Dave Raser
The 'light' classes probably have less than 10 participants (Bike is probably 10 to 20).

Street at Cecil County averages 25 to 30 ....... at Maple Grove it averages 40 to 50, weekly.

At Capitol, bikes run with Mod .... Jr Dragster is there ..... Street is less than 10, I'd say .. when they run it.

Maple Grove doesn't have buybacks .... Capitol has 1st and/or 2nd rd re-entry .... Cecil has 1st and 2nd rd re-entry .... Mason-Dixon has 1st rd re-entry ........ * Re-entry > buy right into next round.

I've bracket raced at Maple Grove since the 1970's .. and I can't remember them ever having buybacks.

Dave
January 16, 2017, 12:47 PM
Eman
Different areas and tracks see different trends.
At Bristol they run Super Pro,Pro,Sportsman,and Trophy along with motorcycle and Jr.'s. On the car side they stopped anyone from doubling with the same car class to class and they keep Pro pure footbrake.
At local tracks there are a lot of "local" racers that keep it simple and enjoy staying local. Crossville reopened and they went with 3 classes, Box,No Box and footbrake with footbrake being entry level. Before the first race they had so many complain about the et break in footbrake they lowered it.
January 18, 2017, 04:15 PM
J178RED
quote:
Originally posted by Eman: Before the first race they had so many complain about the et break in footbrake they lowered it.

How low did they go? Hum

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!
January 20, 2017, 10:56 AM
easy e
So it's "entry level" but people were complaining the ET break was too slow? What makes the class entry level?

Eddie Tice

"I've over-educated myself in all the things I shouldn't have known at all"
January 20, 2017, 02:45 PM
Dave Raser
^^^ ........ yes Ed, I was wondering the same thing. But, I figured that it must be new (beginners) racers with the latest fast factory cars that are out now (or upgraded street vehicles) ........ and they are so fast, that the e.t. break wasn't low enough for these 'fast street factory vehicles'.

Just my guess.

Otherwise ... you're right. why would you have to accomodate 'fast cars' for 'entry level'.

Dave
January 20, 2017, 02:51 PM
Tom396
Maybe some of you are old enough to remember the really old NHRA rulebooks. Those called all of ET bracket racing "entry level". Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
January 23, 2017, 09:47 AM
Eman
http://crossvilledragway.com/rules-and-payouts/
They lowered their Sportsman (footbrake) class to 7.69
January 23, 2017, 10:14 AM
ChuckT
Eman, is Sportsman its own class at the bracket finals? In IHRA Div 3 North Stars, Street is its own eliminator, 7.50 and up in the 1/8th, footbrake only.

Keystone is putting a tweak on Trophy class for 2017, renaming it Novice. Before it was 12.00 and up, no slicks or open exhaust. Now it will be 11.50 and up, must be driven in, no slicks or open exhaust, no buybacks/reentry, and if you've ever won a class or an event anywhere, you are not eligible. $15, winner and runner up get a trophy.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53
January 23, 2017, 06:29 PM
Dave Raser
quote:
Keystone is putting a tweak on Trophy class for 2017, renaming it Novice. Before it was 12.00 and up, no slicks or open exhaust. Now it will be 11.50 and up, must be driven in, no slicks or open exhaust, no buybacks/reentry, and if you've ever won a class or an event anywhere, you are not eligible. $15, winner and runner up get a trophy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for posting this, Chuck.

Does everybody see that ...... it says "NOVICE".

For everyone who's ever questioned Street/Sportsman ..... it was never ever a beginner's class. Trophy was .. is .. and will always be the "Beginner's" class.

Dave
January 30, 2017, 02:53 PM
Eman
No Sportsman class that I know of at bracket finals in IHRA in my area. I'm in an area with overlap of multiple divisions and the local track has been in 3 different divisions over the last few years. Some divisions Mod is footbrake only.
February 08, 2017, 08:40 PM
naquin71nova
Southern man talking from Baton Rouge, our local track has decided to run Mod Et for 2017, it was met with less than favorable response from the footbrake racers. Now they have decided to allow a true footbrake class & Mod Et class, which allows transbrake & 2 step, the first race is yet to happen, cant say how many racers will jump into Mod, short notice to install button & 2 step.That being said, at our local track State Capitol Raceway they will be running 6 classes, Top door slammer, Quick 16, Super Pro, Mod Et, non Electronics, & Street, we will see how that works.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: naquin71nova,
February 12, 2017, 11:05 AM
Eman
I don't know how many cars your track draws. Splitting the class like that doesn't sound like a good idea unless car counts are very high.
February 14, 2017, 12:07 AM
Footloose
Been going on down south for over 20yrs. Its called Top Dog winner or top eliminator.When I raced at 75-80 MD. it was called top dog. Thats been close to 30 yrs. ago. It has to be the last car from each class though.
April 24, 2017, 04:23 PM
Tom396
There you have it. One eliminator at Capitol Raceway.

https://www.facebook.com/30820...os/1491487387590420/

Take care. Tom Worthington

April 24, 2017, 09:01 PM
Tom396
From Facebook:

With the elimination of the Mod class at Capitol Raceway, "No-Box" cars will now be welcome to join our Top ET class. The No-Box cars will be called first and will run separate from the Box cars until no longer possible. If there are an odd number of No-Box cars, the last No-Box car will have to run a box car. There will still only be one bye car pulled per round of Top ET.

Sound familiar? Take care. Tom Worthington

May 12, 2017, 02:57 PM
Tom396

Just saying. Take care. Tom Worthington

May 12, 2017, 05:01 PM
Dave Raser
Nice race purse.

But, won't the "16 or less" racers who are left in Sat's 1st race be 'SOL', when they start the '2nd' race elim's before they finish ....... ya know ... if they want to run the '2nd race', also?

How's that gonna work?

Dave
May 12, 2017, 05:45 PM
Tom396
I hadn't really noticed that part. I was too busy paying attention to the part about footbrake being combined with delay box. I think it may have even been referred to as a "combo race" somewhere. Take care. Tom Worthington

May 19, 2017, 03:58 PM
Ron Gusack
It'll be interesting to see how many footbrake cars are there for tomorrow's 10k race.